For a simple homemade breakfast (or snack) whip up a batch of these puff pastry apple turnovers that take just a few minutes to create, but taste like they were bought from your neighborhood bakery. Don’t like apples? Substitute in blueberries, cherries or whatever fruit is in season at your local market.
Makes 8 turnovers
2 apples peeled, cored and diced into small cubes
1/8 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 package of frozen puff pastry defrosted
one egg beaten
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Soften the cubed apples over medium heat on the stove for about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
3. Flour your counter and roll out the defrosted puff pastry dough so it’s around 12″ by 12″. Cut each sheet so that there are four squares.
4. Place a large spoonful of apple mixture onto each square and then fold the puff pastry dough over to make a triangle. Seal the edges with your fingers or press down with a fork. Brush the top of each triangle with egg wash.
5. Make two small slits on each triangle and transfer to the baking sheet. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown.
How did your apple turnovers turn out? Tell us below!
photo courtesy of Vegan Baking on Flickr; recipe courtesy of Erin Lem