Chicken and Dumplings Casserole
Middle of the week dinners always seem to be the hardest to throw together. That’s why we’re big fans of creating meals that can last for two nights. And recipes like this Chicken and Dumplings Casserole only seem to get better as the flavors sit overnight. Serve up a heaping helping of this yummy dish alongside some freshly steamed asparagus or some broccoli and watch as your little ones go happily munching away.
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, boiled and shredded
2 c chicken stock
8 tbsp butter
2 c Bisquick or self-rising flour
2 c low fat milk
1 can cream of chicken soup
3 bouillon cubes
1/2 tsp dried sage
1 tsp black pepper & salt, as desired
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place chicken in sauce pan with enough water to cover the chicken. Bring to a boil, then turn off the heat; place a lid on your pot and allow to sit for 10-15 minutes to finish cooking. Remove chicken and allow to cool, then shred the chicken.
2. In a 9×13 large casserole dish, melt half of the butter. Spread shredded chicken over butter. Sprinkle black pepper and dried sage over chicken layer.
3. Mix milk and Bisquick in a small bowl. Slowly pour over chicken.
4. Whisk together 2 cups of chicken stock, bouillon cubes, and soup. Once blended, slowly pour over the Bisquick layer.
5. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.