We don’t know about you, but it’s pretty tough to convince our kids to eat anything beyond their beloved pizza or pasta. Why not combine these two popular meals and add some healthy chicken to create a tasty, simple single-dish meal like this one from Abbe’s Cooking Antics? The kiddos will love two of their favorite foods rolled into one, and you’ll love the super easy recipe. It’s a win-win!
3.5 oz dried tortiglioni pasta (or penne)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely diced
14 oz can chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato puree/paste
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
2 fat cloves garlic
pinch of sugar
5 – 6 oz cooked chicken breast, chopped
2 oz cheddar cheese, grated
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions.
3. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan/skillet and gently soften the onions for 3-4 minutes.
4. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, basil, garlic and sugar. Season with salt and pepper and simmer gently for 15-20 minutes.
5. Drain the cooked pasta, reserving 1 ladleful of the cooking water.
6. Stir the reserved cooking water into the tomato sauce – a splash at a time (use too much and you’ll water the tomato flavour down, which is fine) to slacken it off slightly.
7. Add the pasta and cooked chicken to the sauce and stir gently.
8. Spoon into the baking dish and scatter with the cheddar.
9. Cook in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese has melted and is golden and bubbling.
Will this recipe become a part of your dinner rotation?
recipe and photo courtesy of Abbe’s Cooking Antics