If you’ve come to love dishes that you can reheat, reserve and reinvent throughout the week then this is the dish for you. Courtesy of Jo Cooks, this chicken and veggie pasta casserole will make more servings than your fam can eat in one night, which means you already have tomorrow night’s dinner ready to go. Score! Another bonus? The recipe calls for zucchini, pepper and onions so sneaking in veggies for your kids to chow down on is a cinch.
1 tbsp olive oil
1 lb elbow macaroni, cooked according to package instructions
1 medium white onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 small zucchini, chopped
2 chicken breasts, skinless and boneless and cut into 1 inch pieces
1 cup half and half
2 cups marinara sauce
1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1 cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded
½ cup Panko breadcrumbs
salt and pepper to taste
chopped parsley for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 400 F degrees.
2. In a large skillet heat the olive oil and add chicken. Cook chicken for about 5 to 10 minutes until slightly browned, and cooked through. Add chopped onion and bell pepper and cook for another 3 minutes or until onion is tender. Sean with salt and pepper. Add zucchini and stir.
3. Add half and half, marinara sauce, cooked macaroni and ½ cup of the Parmesan cheese. Stir and cook for 5 minutes.
4. Pour half the macaroni mixture in a 9×13 baking dish. Sprinkle with ½ cup of the Mozzarella cheese. Add the remaining macaroni and sprinkle with remaining Mozzarella cheese, then top with the remaining Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle the Panko breadcrumbs over the cheese to add a crunch to the casserole.
5. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
6. Garnish with chopped parsley.
Are you a fan of casserole dishes?
photo and recipe courtesy of Jo Cooks. Visit her blog for more recipe inspiration.