This time of year you’re likely feeling pretty red, white and blue so why not show your USA pride by shopping for toys that are made right here? We’ve found a shortlist of classic US-manufactured toys that might surprise you. Scroll down for the scoop.
1. Edible Chemistry Set. This edible chemistry kit really is edible (but is in no way a meal substitute). It’s loads of fun, made in the states and costs just $18. Recommended for kids 8 and up, we think with parent supervision younger kids (3 and up) could enjoy it too. Get it at Fat Brain Toys.
photo: Lawrence Whittimore via flickr
2. Little Green Army Men. An iconic childhood toy since the 1950s, these bad boys in tan and green are made in the USA and come in a pack of 100 for just $13.40 on Amazon. For ages 3 and up.
3. Play Tape. This cool tape rolled onto the scene a couple of years ago and became an instant classic. Make a road pretty much anywhere without damaging wood or walls. It comes in multiple colors and multi-packs, most rolls start at around $9. Find out more at InRoad Toys. Any age, as long as they don’t start eating the tape.
4. Build & Paint Firehouse. The Build & Paint kits have that added bonus of not only being something you can play with, you get to get creative in the process. Get yours on Amazon for $18.50. Ages 3 and up.
5. Crayon Rocks. They’re gemstones, they’re rocks, they’re coloring crayons! We know your kids love to color with them but we can promise that it won’t take long before they start toting the muslin bag around as a treasure, too. Works great for chubby little fingers, but best for ages 3 and up due to choking hazard. Grab ’em for under $10 here.
6. Mini Bell Rattle. The Maple Landmark company makes lots of sweet Made in the USA wooden toys and we this little rattle is as timeless as they come. From decorative blocks to rainbow stackers to name trains, chances are you’ve seen this company’s goods in your local toy store and (hopefully) in a room of your own. Manufacturer deems this suitable for infants. The rattles set you back just $10.10. Buy one at maplelandmark.com.
7. Green Toys Dump Truck. This workhorse of a toy by Green Toys was one of their first and it is still made in the USA today, and just as durable as ever. Plus it’s made from recycled milk jugs. Our editor’s son has dragged one from sandboxes to beaches to mud puddles across the country for the last six years and it still looks nearly new. Score one for your own rugged types on Amazon for just $18.76. Ages 12 months to 10 years.
photo: Fat Brain Toys
8. Steppers. Once upon a time kids used tin cans and coffee cans to make the old-school version of this classic toy. Totally manufactured in the USA this the upgraded version of the homemade kind, and they come in six different colors. You can find them for $13.99 at Fat Brain Toys.
photo: jimbethmag via flickr
9. UNO! It’s everyone’s favorite first card game and it’s made in the USA! Get the original version at Mattel for just $5.99, or choose Deluxe, Ghostbusters, Frozen or one of the dozens of other variations.
photo: Fat Brain Toys
10. Custom Superhero Cape. For children ages 2-7 this costume staple is as simple as it is terrific. Just pick the letter you want and order it one of the primary colors from Fat Brain Toys. You’ll get endless hours of pretend play for just $17.85-$18.99/cape.
photo: Will via flickr
11. Slinky. What goes down stairs, alone or in pairs, and makes a slinkety sound? Slinky has been around since the 1960s and they are still making them in the U.S. in the same style, although you can find more wacky colors today. You can snag a collector’s edition for just $9.99 or a 3-back of classics for$17.99 at Alex Brands.
What’s your favorite made in the USA toy? Tell us in a comment below.