When it comes to the little gal in your life, it’s easy to gush and tell her she’s pretty cute. But, how often do you say the things she really needs to hear? We thought about all the different ways girls need to be inspired and jotted down our favorite flattery. From appreciating her creative side to how far and fast her strong legs will carry her, here are 10 compliments to give your daughter today (and everyday).
1. Isn’t it great that your strong legs can help you run super fast? Praising the things a little girl can do with her body instead of noticing how it looks will help her appreciate, and strive for, a healthy lifestyle.
2. I love the color combo you’ve got going on today, it’s very creative! You can still compliment your daughter on her outfit when you focus on her creativity, rather than how pretty she looks.
3. You are a kind person. Pointing out attributes like kindness, courage, and honesty will go far in building self-esteem.
4. I’m really impressed with how you solved/built/created that. Can you show me a thing or two?! Praise your daughter for her critical thinking and problem-solving prowess, and nurture her interest in all things STEAM.
5. I think you are a great leader. Lean In, anyone? One of the best things you can do for your daughter is show her that being a leader isn’t just “being bossy.”
6. I am proud of you. Because kids need to hear this from their parents.
7. Just be yourself. It’s enough. Girls are constantly being told they aren’t enough, and it’s time to break the cycle.
8. Your ideas are important, and I want to hear them. Kids in general, but especially girls, need to know their ideas are awesome and worth sharing.
9. Your bright smile shows me how happy you are. She’s smiling for a reason, and when you notice, it’ll make her even happier.
10. You can change the world. Because, she can!
Do you have more compliments to add to this list? Share your thoughts in a comment below!
Feature photo courtesy Erin Feher