Working remotely remains a growing trend across the country, which is good news for parents looking for a more flexible work schedule. With this growth comes the expansion of career categories that offer remote work. If you’re hoping to land a new gig in 2019, FlexJobs just named the fastest-growing remote job fields—and the list might surprise you.
Analyzing over 50 different career categories, FlexJobs has created a list of the top 10 remote job categories that are not usually associated with remote work. These fields have shown a growth of 50 percent or more since January 2018.
Photo: Janeb13 via Pixabay
Here is the top 10 list, in order of greatest growth to least. All positions are at least partially remote.
1. Math & Economics: Sample job positions include actuarial analyst, economics faculty member, mathematical programmer, data scientist and high school math teacher.
2. Insurance: Sample job positions include loss control specialist, nurse case manager, premium auditor, underwriting manager and claims representative.
3. Nonprofit & Philanthropy: Sample job positions include senior national fundraising director, program director, policy manager, major gifts officer and partnerships manager
4. Mortgage & Real Estate: Sample job positions include senior loan officer, director of sales, district manager, real estate content producer and real estate valuation manager.
5. Marketing: Sample job positions include associate product manager, marketing specialist, marketing operations manager, online campaign manager and digital marketing analyst.
6. Engineering: Sample job positions include solutions engineer, software engineer, automation expert, design-field engineering technician and head of frontend engineering.
7. Project Management: Sample job positions include business process consultant, engagement manager, project manager, scrum master and project management manager.
8. Science: Sample job positions include clinical research associate, science teacher, science coach, senior clinical scientist, medical science liaison and life sciences content writer.
9. Legal: Sample job positions include global senior manager of contracts and agreements, paralegal specialist, general counsel, privacy and compliance manager and BAR regional director.
10. Pharmaceutical: Sample job positions include pharma regional sales manager, vice president of clinical effectiveness, clinical pharmacist, and regional neurology account manager.