Photo: Leo Rivas-Micoud/Unsplash
For many parents across the country, we’re in the middle of winter’s deep freeze, which means we might all be suffering from a serious case of cabin fever. There’s only so many times you can build a snowman (sorry, Anna) or bake cookies or make an epic indoor pillow fort before the kiddos—and moms and dads—start to get a little stir crazy.
Writing Challenge Theme
This month’s Spoke Writing Challenge pushes us to think outside the “box”—whether that’s the crayon box or the little boxes we call home—and to take a look at the world through the eyes of our kids. Behold, February’s Spoke Writing Challenge theme: “Stories of Wonder & Imagination.” Click the link to view all the submissions as they come in.
Tell us your stories about imagination, wonder and make believe. Whether you have a story about your child’s first imaginary friend or cool make believe or pretend play games your kids love, we want to hear about it. Or maybe you have your own very personal story of being both wondered and amazed by those small moments of parenthood we so often overlook. Whatever has amazed you, filled you with wonder or inspired your imagination with your kids, we want to hear your stories!
How About Some Cash Prizes?
The editors will select three winning posts based on the quality of writing, originality and number of page views received. Three winners will each receive a $100 prize. Not too shabby, right?
While this is neither an exclusive nor exhaustive list, here are some ideas to get your inspired about your Writing Challenge post:
- This Is My Child’s Imaginary Friend, “Insert Name Here”
- How My Kid Motivates Me to Look at the World in New Ways
- “What’s This a Picture Of?” My Kid’s Art, Critiqued
- Easy Make-Believe Games on the Fly
- Sometimes, I Still Can’t Believe I’m a Parent
- The Moment My Child Discovered…
- How I Play Pretend with My Kids While We…
- Simple Yet Amazing Magic Tricks You Can Do for Your Kids
- What to Do When Your Kid Has a Bad Dream
- What to Do When Your Child’s Imagination Has Run TOO Wild
- Are Little White Lies Really That Bad?
- This Is How We Keep the Tooth Fairy Myth Alive
Rules, Eligibility & The Fine Print
Ready to join in the Writing Challenge? Submit your Spoke story today! Here are all the details.
- Use article code “#February2018” (including the hashtag) when submitting.
- All eligible posts must be submitted no later than 4:59 p.m. EST on Wednesday, Feb. 28, 2018.
- Winners will be notified by email and announced via both the Spoke Facebook Group and the Spoke email newsletter the first week of March 2018.
Remember, to be eligible for one of three $100 prizes, you must submit an original post. If you have a previously-published post you’d like to share on Spoke, we want to read it! While previously-published stories are ineligible for our monthly challenge prizes, we’d love to include it on Spoke and maybe even share it with our readers.
Have questions? We have answers: email us at spoke@. We can’t wait to read your stories!
As always—ride on!
—Keiko Zoll, Spoke Contributor Network Editor