Red Tricycle is looking for a full-time rockstar Managing Editor to be the right-hand (wo)man to our Editorial Director. You are a wordsmith with impeccable grammar who finds just as much excitement in line editing as you do in managing a team of remote writers and editors. Our small editorial team moves fast and you’ll be expected to keep up the pace, juggling multiple projects at once and setting the tone for our brand vision across all editorial touch points. You’ll take the lead on expanding and managing our Spoke Contributor Network. You must be willing to pitch in wherever we need help and to work full time out of our loft space in Sausalito.
Get Excited! Here’s How You’ll Grow:
Within 30 days you will…
• Have mastered our brand voice and style guide. You will be editing headlines, ledes and copy to meet our editorial standards.
• Work with our remote editors and writers to hone our brand voice and standardize our vision across all of our editions.
• Understand the value of each of our content streams and analyze their metrics, specifically our relatively new Spoke Contributor Network.
By day 60…
• You will strategically expand the Spoke Contributor Network and analyze metrics to reach our goals.
By day 90…
• You’re confident writing, editing and executing against goals for all of Red Tricycle’s content streams.
• You’ll have the self-awareness to recognize what has worked and what hasn’t (especially as it relates to Spoke), and facilitate change where necessary. Remember, we move at a fast clip and as a small team, we don’t have the bureaucratic hurdles of a larger company.
So Far in Your Career You’ve:
• Managed a team of remote freelancers at a digital media company, and have at least 5 years of digital media experience.
• Become a master writer and editor, adopting your voice to meet a brand’s editorial vision.
• Mastered WordPress and can troubleshoot everything from photo sizing issues to HTML style hiccups.
• Toggled between your editorial and marketing hats (i.e. you work like an editor but can think like a marketer).
• Understood what it means to be a part of a small, tight-knit team. We aren’t a big company with big company resources so you should be a team player and be enthusiastic about pitching in wherever we need it.
Why You Should Join Us:
We reach 20 million parents every month by activating families to create new memories together EVERY SINGLE DAY. Bottom line: you want to be part of something totally awesome by using your vision and skills to help families from all walks of life have more fun together. Plus, you’ll spend your days in sunny Sausalito where you can eat bayside, take a walk with one of our office dogs or stroll to watch the sailboats during your lunchtime. We have free (!!) parking and are located just a block from public transit.
How to Apply:
Send us your cover letter (tell us why you’re a great match for this position and what you can offer that others can’t) and resume. Please also include two headlines you’ve seen on Red Tricycle and how you would edit them to make both better. Send us your best stuff to editor AT redtri.com with the subject line “Managing Editor” and we’ll get back to you if we see a good fit.