Gluten-Free Lemon Almond Cookie
Nix the chocolate chips for a cookie treat that’s a little less expected. Try this gluten-free cookie recipe for a yummy, citrus-y snack. We’re willing to bet that the crisp, elegant flavors of lemon and almond will overpower any doubts you may have about gluten-free cookies. Round up the kiddos–they’ll love helping make (and eat!) these tasty treats.
1/2 c almond meal
3/4 c gluten-free flour blend
1/4 c sweet rice flour (white rice will work as well)
1/4 c cornstarch
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons organic white sugar
1 large egg
1 1/2 tablespoons freshly grated lemon zest (use a microplane for this)
1. In a small bowl, mix flours, salt and xanthan gum.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and 1 cup of the sugar for 2 minutes until fluffy. Scrape down the sides.
3. Beat in the egg and the zest until well blended, scraping down the sides.
4. Add the flour and mix on low until the dough is combined well. Raise the speed to medium and mix for 20 seconds. I found this helps to “gel” the xanthan gum.
5. Cover and chill for 1-2 hours.
6. Form the dough into walnut-size balls and arrange them 2 inches apart on baking sheets lined with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
7. Place the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar on a plate. Dip the bottom of a moistened glass in the sugar and press down on the cookies slightly, flattening them to about 2 inches in diameter, maybe a little less. These will spread.
8. Bake the cookies in the middle of a preheated 350°F oven for 12-15 minutes, or until they are golden around the edges. Halfway through the baking time, rotate pans in the oven.
9. Allow to cool for 5 minutes then transfer them to racks.