Peter Pan didn’t want to grow up, and we think he had the right idea. While there is no turning back the clock, one of the best things about having a kid in the house is that they remind you how much fun it was to be young. Get down on their level by joining in—here are 10 ways to act like a kid with your kid.
1. Have a tea party. But be aware this involves more than simply sipping tea. You must truly believe those blocks are gooey brownies and hold up your end of the riveting conversation with Elmo and Raggedy Anne.
2. Swing on the Swings. Now is the time to dust off those old school-yard tricks. Show them how a pro jumps off the swing!
3. Eat Snacks. Because cheese sticks, crackers and fruit really are a solid midday pick-me-up, at any age.
4. Finger Paint. Better yet, don your swim suits, head outside with your art projects and let the paint fall where it may. Your inner artist will be inspired!
5. Play Dress Up. Pull out an old prom dress, heels from another era and all the sparkly jewelry that hasn’t been worn in years.
6. Take a Bubble Bath Together. Sure, it’s a very different vibe than that old Calgon commercial, but bubble beards and splash attacks are their own kind of sweet release.
7. Eat at the Kids’ Table. It may not be the most comfortable seat in the house, but we bet the conversation is just as interesting. Let them lead the way with the table talk, and you just join in when you’ve got something to add to the unpredictable banter.
8. Take a Nap. Because, duh.
9. Ride Bikes. Bomb some hills, ride through the grass and practice your skid stops. We recommend sticking some playing cards to your wheels for that motorcycle hum.
10. Play Hide and Seek. You may be bigger, but that doesn’t mean you can’t think of a hiding spot that won’t blow their minds. The best is that moment when they actually think that you have disappeared.
Do you have any other fun ideas for acting like a kid with your kid? Let us know in the comments below.