You don’t need an ice cream maker to whip up your own batch of homemade ice cream. Read on for the scoop on how to make ice cream in a bag, without half and half or a machine.
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup milk (will make about 1 scoop of ice cream)
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
6 tablespoons rock salt
1 pint-size plastic food storage bag (e.g., Ziploc)
1 gallon-size plastic food storage bag
1. Fill the large bag half full of ice, and add the rock salt.
2. Seal the bag.
3. Put milk, vanilla, and sugar into the small bag, and seal it.
4. Place the small bag inside the large one, and seal it again carefully.
5. Shake until the mixture is ice cream, which takes about 5 minutes.
6. Wipe off the top of the small bag, then open it carefully.
A 1/2 cup milk will make about 1 scoop of ice cream, so double the recipe if you want more. But don’t increase the proportions more than that — a large amount might be too big for kids to pick-up because the ice itself is heavy.
If there is a milk allergy, try this with fruit juice. Use straight pineapple juice—it’s a terrific fruit sorbet. OR rice/soy milk as the milk substitute.
Have you tried making your own ice cream at home? Share your experience in the Comments below!
These weekly adventures are created by Yuumii, an online community founded by a San Francisco family who wanted to come up with creative ways to spend more quality time with their kids. For more adventures, including art, life, outdoors, animals, and random adventures, sign up for Yuumii – it’s fun and it’s free!
photo: Gordonramsaysubmissions via flickr