Embroidery Thread Easter Eggs
This is a super fun project to create beautiful decorations for a festive Spring or Easter table. Do note: it’s a bit on the messy side, so you might want to plan accordingly and cover your counter or table before you begin.
• Balloons – ideally, small ones (9” or less)
• Embroidery thread (sold at any craft or fabric store)
• White glue (like Elmer’s)
• Small cup (like a cupcake liner) or bowl, to pour the glue into
• Aluminum pan, foil or wax paper (to place your balloon eggs on to dry)
1. Blow up your balloons. Remember, the size of your balloon will be the size of your egg – so unless you’re thinking of ostrich eggs, you don’t need them to be too big.
2. Measure and cut strands of your embroidery thread. We used strands about 2 feet long. Depending on how thickly you want to cover your balloon, you will need 10-15 strands of thread.
3. Pour a few tablespoons of glue into the cup.
4. Dip the first strand of thread into the glue. Holding the thread over the cup of glue, pull the thread through your finger and thumb to spread the glue along the whole length of the thread.
5. Wrap the thread over the balloon, covering as much space as you can.
6. Repeat steps #4 & 5 with more thread, until you have covered as much of the balloon as you would like. Note: the more you have covered the balloon, the sturdier your egg will be.
7. Let dry overnight.
8. After the glue on the thread has dried completely, pop the balloon (using scissors or a knife). Carefully pull the balloon out through a gap in the thread (you can use your fingers or tweezers). You’ll be left with a beautiful egg!
Kiwi Crate is a subscription service for kids that delivers monthly boxes with all of the materials and inspiration for hands-on projects. Every month, kids receive a curated crate filled with materials for art projects, science experiments or imaginative play activities – everything needed to spark creativity and encourage exploration. See more free kids activities on their blog.
Want More Adventures?
Let us help you be the rock star mom (or dad) we know you are! Sign up for our picks for the best things to see, do, eat and explore with your kids.