Before it’s officially over and regular life resumes, it’s time to squeeze just a little bit more fun out of the summer. From spontaneous day trips to our favorite swimming holes, we’re highlighting 10 fun ways to make your family’s last days of summer as memorable as the first.
photo: Joann S. via Yelp
1. Los Angeles is fairly warm year-round, but the end of Aug. and beginning of Sept. are typically scorchers! Take advantage of this late summer hot weather and explore a swimming hole with your kids. Just be sure to pack the sunscreen, water shoes and hats!
2. Ice cream and summertime go together like Bert and Ernie, peanut butter and jelly, Tom and Jerry…ok, you get the picture. Visit one of our favorite Los Angeles’ ice cream shops and grab a seasonal flavor like Freckled Chocolate Zucchini Bread or Beet Red Velvet Cake.
3. Looking to score some back-to-school bargains or merely get rid of the clothes your kids outgrew this summer? Here are 9 places to re-sell clothing that are worth your time (and money).
4. Take the family out to explore the Santa Monica Pier. Indulge in the carnival-like atmosphere with face-painting, cotton candy, and the old-fashioned arcade.
photo: Andrew T. via Yelp
5. Are those back-to-school meetings, volunteer requests, donation drives and bake sales wearing you down? Take dinner off your to-do list by stopping at one of these awesome meals-to-go spots that even your kids will love.
6. Hello Weekend! What’s better than a Sat. morning filled with slides, swings, and sand? Here are the 15 best playgrounds for kids around Los Angeles.
photo: George E. via Yelp
7. Looking for more adventure than the playground? These tidepools are not only fun for your little marine biologist to explore but some require a little hiking to access—making reaching the destination that more fun.
8. Just because the end of summer means less time for long, overnight vacations, that doesn’t mean you can’t explore one of these 10 must-do day trips that are all just a car ride away (one’s a ferry-ride away but you get the idea).
9. Take advantage of our glorious swim-ready weather and hit up one of these hotel pools with family day passes.
10. Explore and eat your way through one of Los Angeles’s neighborhoods if you haven’t already. May we suggest Echo Park, West Hollywood, Malibu, Culver City, Mar Vista, Brentwood, Atwater Village, Los Feliz, Chinatown to name a few?
To see what Red Tricycle Editors are up to this month, follow us on Instagram!
—Erin Lem & Andie Huber