Even though many of our kids are already back in school, Labor Day weekend is still an end-of-summer celebration of a long weekend. Scroll down to find the perfect activities to send off summer with a bang, LA-style.
- Sure the rest of the country is starting to dream of pumpkin and spice, but here in LA it’s still summer weather for a while! And when it’s hot, nothing tastes sweeter than ice cream. Visit one of the coolest new spots in town.
- Splish and splash at a super splashpad. If you find the beaches too crowded (or too sandy—hey, you just got the car vacuumed in preparation for carpooling!), hit one of these super spots to keep cool.
- After falling in love with Wonder Woman and giggling through Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, your little ones are ready for some serious nerd time. Hit the Long Beach Comic Con (where you can meet William Shatner, among others!).
- It’s one of your last chances to get to the Hollywood Bowl this summer—and there’s a great show this weekend for the whole family. When John Williams visits the Bowl, he conducts his own music that your kids will recognize from Star Wars to Indiana Jones to Harry Potter; it’s a great way to get them interested in classical music.
- Unplug from technology for the weekend and head to Big Bear for the Kids Adventure Games for days packed with mountain biking, hiking, ziplines, a Tarzan rope swing, giant Slip N’ Slide, tubing, cargo nets, mud pits and more.
- Or stay local and create your own adventure with a hike that ends in water or a dive into one of nature’s pools.
- Go glamping at Riley Apple Farm, where end of summer camping meets the early apples ready for picking!
- Well hello, sailor! Take the kids to the Fleet Week celebration at the Port of LA to honor our troops and have a blast getting tours of the big ships, helicopters and other gear that the Navy uses.
- Hit a theme park, seriously! The summer crowds are heading home, and you can get in on some of the new-this-summer, or only-for-summer spectaculars, like the magical light show at Hogwarts Castle at Universal Studios, the new family ride at Magic Mountain, new Guardians of the Galaxy ride at Disney and last days of Knott’s Ghost Town.
- If a trip out of town isn’t in the cards, but you’d still like a relaxing day lounging by a resort pool, we know where to go.
- Introduce the kids to Shakespeare. This weekend you can see the Actor’s Gang put on a Power Rangers version of A Midsummer Nights Dream, bring a picnic to an evening show of Two Gentlemen of Verona at the Old Zoo or catch one of two by the Bard up in Topanga.
- Inside adventures: if you want to escape the heat, and reality in general, try some Virtual Reality.
- On Monday the Dodgers return home for the September Stretch. Head to the stadium and help cheer on our boys in blue. (Mmmmm, Dodger Dogs!)
photo: wlashbrook via Flickr
- Calling all Old MacDonalds – it’s Farmer Days at Kidspace. Or go whole hog at the LA County Fair which is just kicking off this weekend.
Want to get out of town? Try these 10 Labor-Free Labor Day Escapes. Or if you want a bigger trip, plan one of these California road trips every kid should do before they’re 10.
What do you plan to do this holiday weekend? Let us know in the comment section below.