75 Fabulous Fall Activities
Living in LA, we tend to manufacture our own autumn rituals, like seeking out some colorful foliage, wearing Uggs and casually knotting a pashmina over our t-shirts. And, now that it’s not broiling anymore, we can take full advantage of the mild gorgeous weather and go outside without sweating gallons. Here are our picks for 75 fabulous things to do this fall in Los Angeles – from Halloween to harvest and eats to explorations.
1. Go apple picking.
2. Play tourist in your own city and explore the sights and sounds of downtown.
3. Book ‘em mama: take the kids to the Police Museum.
4. Prefer another kind of booking? Hit the library: here’s a list of our favorites for kids.
5. Visit the fully enclosed natural playground with rocks, trees, a playhouse, benches and a footbridge that is Debs Park.
6. Now that you won’t drip sweat into your nose as you pedal, get out for a family bike ride – Lake Hollywood is a beautiful and safe spot for new young and wobbly riders.
7. Fall is a perfect time to talk like a Pirate – take yer matey on one of these pirate adventures.
8. Put on playclothes (they’ll get dirty poking around in the tar) and visit the La Brea Tar Pits – a park that’s anything but the pits!
9. Head to a fun beach town and pretend it’s still summer.
10. Pumpkins, tractor rides, and musical entertainment – don’t miss out on the Underwood Farms Fall Festival.
11. Ride a colorful carousel with your kiddos.
12. Check out the new fall exhibition at the California Science Center – The Design Zone. It’s awesome and free!
13. Pamper your little princess with a mommy and me mani-pedi.
14. Fall is the perfect season for whale watching.
15. We get those random hot days all fall – when one strikes, head to the new Rita’s Ice for a sweet, cool treat.
16. Get a jump start on holiday gift making – head to Make Meaning for a fun and crafty day, and then wrap those goodies up for Grandma for a the perfect holiday gift.
17. Autumn is the perfect time to sign up for a CSA.
18. Take your pumpkin to the patch to pick the perfect gourd. (And get some adorable photos, too!)
19. The kiddos are back in school, which means you probably bought them some new clothes. Need to re-sell the ones they outgrew? Check out these 7 clothing re-sellers in LA.
20. Does your little one have some extra pent up energy? (That’s a rhetorical question!) Let your baby drummer bang and shout and have some fun.
21. All you need is love. And the Beatles. Check out the Ringo exhibition at the Grammy Museum.
22. Take a break from the new school year and visit any of these top Los Angeles Petting Zoos.
23. It’s dinner and a show – kid style. Here are 7 fabulous dinner theater options for the under 7 crowd!
24. Learn about farm to table, bean to bar and the beauty of unrefined food – all while tasting chocolates at this new chocolate shop in Culver City.
25. If fall is all about harvest and the farm, take them for a weekend getaway at the goat farm.
26. Hike up a mountain to see stars, walk through primordial jungle and then stop for a superb snack. Ferndell Park has it all.
27. Spend a day at Disneyland for Mickey’s Halloween Party. The kids will go batty!
28. Or if you’re kiddo is more of a LEGO maniac, take then Brick-or–Treating at LEGOLAND.
29. Visit the craziest candy store in town to stock up on Halloween candy.
30. Munch on some of the city’s choice grilled cheese spots.
31. Teach your kids about Los Angeles’ fascinating history.
32. Take advantage of the crisp morning air and head out to nosh on some pancakes.
33. When fall is in the air, that means germs (and the gooey green noses that come with those fall flus) can’t be far behind. Banish the boogers with a playdate at the Salt Studio.
34. Spend a day at a local farm where the kiddos will get to pet animals and try delicious fall fruits and veggies – and even pick a pumpkin.
35. On those rare chilly days, you want to stay inside. These are our favorite indoor playgrounds.
36. On the other hand, most days you want to take advantage of the beautiful fall weather. So, visit one of these spectacular outdoor playgrounds.
37. Blast off to the stars at the Griffith Observatory.
38. Try these fun and tasty Halloween experiments.
39. On nice fall days, pack up a picnic and eat outside.
40. Head to your favorite park on a windy fall day and go kite flying.
41. Get some fresh air with a mommy and me workout.
42. Bundle up and hop on a ferry to explore an island in your own backyard.
43. Who doesn’t love free? These museums all have free days at least once a month, and that’s the perfect time to check them out!
44. And free or not- we scoured the city and put all the museums in it to the test and these rated tops with kids. Check out our favorite kid-tastic museums in Los Angeles.
45. Keep your little ones looking sharp this fall with a stylish new ‘do.
47. Go under the sea at any of these cool aquariums.
48. Before it gets too chilly by the ocean go meander through the Venice Canals.
49. If you didn’t make it to the new Natural History Museum Nature Gardens this summer, see what is blooming in the fall…
50. Head indoors for a little retro family fun, roller girl style!
51. Fall is a great season to visit a nearby neighborhood bookstore.
52. Discover the plants, animals, and wildlife that call Los Angeles home at these nature centers.
53. Fall is for fairies! Take your kids on a fantastical Faery Hunt.
54. BIFF! BOOM! POW! Get your super-kid reading a super comic book – these comic book stores all have great kid sections.
55. Stretch out in the mild LA weather with some family-friendly yoga.
56. Get ready to make that holiday list by visiting a local toy store (shop local!) where kiddos are encouraged to touch and test and play.
57. Have a little one who loves cars, trucks, and all things automotive? Check out the Petersen Automotive Museum.
58. Check out that fall foliage at one of these spectacular spots.
59. Enjoy the soothing fall weather by strolling with your kiddos in one of these wheel friendly locations.
60. Throw on a hat and scarf and enjoy a day excursion to a garden paradise.
61. When the weather turns sour head indoors for hands-on aquatic learning at the Aquarium of the Pacific.
62. Head out to the woods and go crayfish trapping!
63. Shorter days means it’s increasingly hard to get up in the morning. Wake up and smell the beans without leaving the house with some coffee roasted right here in LA.
64. Longer nights means it’s darker at bedtime. But these cool nightlights make bedtime more fun. (And isn’t that our goal?)
65. Practice your swing all season long at some of L.A.’s coolest mini golf spots.
66. Do good! Teach your kids that little hands make big differences at these spots where kids can volunteer.
67. Feed your kid’s need for speed at the racetrack.
68. Explore the sights, sounds, and tastes of the East without having to leave the city.
69. Keep warm while catching a kid-friendly flick.
70. Nothing says fall like a yummy afterschool warm and gooey cookie. Here are our favorite spots around town.
71. Pho-get about it! These kid-friendly noodle places warm the belly with a tasty, slurpy meal.
72. Quit horsing around and get out there with your My Little Pony princess and baby buckaroo to ride the read deal.
73. Not too hot, not too cold, this weather is juuuuust right for enjoying a meal al fresco.
74. Have a conversation with some exotic birds.
75. So, you went apple picking, right (that was idea #1!). Now make some apple recipes that will keep you warm all season long.
What will you be doing this beautiful fall? Let us know in the comments section!
Photo credits: nerdcore girl via Creative Commons, Freeloosedirt via Creative Commons, Jolie Loeb, Meghan Rose, DrStarbuck via flickr, Erin Harris, Woolennium via Creative Commons, Analise Dubner, Jen Arrow, Tiffany Assman via Creative Commons, Kevin Burkett via Creative Commons, Caught on Fire via Creative Commons, and mitikusa via Creative Commons
Want More Los Angeles Adventures?
Let us help you be the rock star mom (or dad) we know you are! Sign up for our picks for the best things to see, do, eat and explore with your kids in Los Angeles.