50 Ideas for Winter Fun With Your Kids
Even though Southern California has great weather all year round, that doesn’t mean that we’re immune to the winter blues. The thought of entertaining the kiddos when the rain comes pouring down is sure to give every parent a panic attack. Sure you’ve got a few standbys for those chilly days, but more than likely, you’re gonna need some new ideas on what to do with your kids for the next couple of months. To help out all you Los Angelenos moms and dads, we’ve come up with a list of 50 things to do with your kids in Los Angeles this winter, all of which will keep you and your kiddos warm and cozy (at least until the next heat wave hits our fair city).
2. Warm up on those chilly days with a steaming cup of hot cocoa.
3. Stave off cabin fever with these 11 ideas that will keep you and your brood entertained for the day.
4. Just because we live in California doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy some winter sports, so lace up your skates for a day of ice skating.
5. Visit a vintage toy store and relish in some playtime with your kiddo that doesn’t involved batteries or controllers.
6. Throw on the coats and experience an enchanting faery hunt, the newest and coolest activity for Los Angeles kids.
7. Instead of driving off to your next workout, try bringing your little ones along for a stroller walk through your neighborhood on those sunny winter days.
8. Does your kiddo have a winter birthday? Here’s some ideas on how to throw an awesome airplane-themed party.
9. Go on a food adventure to find the best grilled cheese. All that’s missing is a steaming bowl of tomato soup to ward of the winter chill.
10. Turn off the TV and catch a live theater performance that is perfect for little theatergoers.
11. Sometimes leaving town is the best way to have a relaxing weekend, especially if the weather is crummy. Try packing up the car for a quick and easy day trip.
12. Some mornings you just can’t escape without the kiddos in tow. For those chilly mornings, try warming up at a kid-friendly coffee shop.
13. Wildlife is so much more exciting when you get to see it up close. Here’s a few ways to see your favorite critters face-to-face.
14. Got a hankering for a juicy burger? Grab a handful of fries and sink your teeth into one of the Golden State’s best burgers.
15. “Spring is gonna come” is your mantra this winter–grab a mat and practice your yoga poses.
16. Pancakes–not only are they a breakfast staple, but they are delicious for just about any meal this winter. Grab a stack and cover them in sweet, sticky syrup. Or, opt for their Belgian brother–waffles!
17. Explore other cultures through food by making a meal using spices and flavors from across the globe.
18. Encourage your future rockstars and musicians to make some noise at a kid-friendly music class.
19. Exercise those little minds (and maybe learn a thing or two) at some engaging kids’ museums.
20. Whether you like them plain or with the works, it’s hard to deny your taste buds a delicious hot dog. Luckily, L.A.’s got all the fixin’s for the best dogs, wursts, sausages and brats.
21. Get a behind-the-scenes look at Tinseltown with all the costumes on display at the “Costume Box” Museum.
22. Indulge your sweet tooth with a visit to a veritable sugar palace that would make Willy Wonka blush.
23. Nervous about taking the tykes skiing for the first time? Fret not — we’ve got 5 tips to get your kids snow plowing down the mountain in now time.
24. Everyone screams for ice cream, whatever the weather. When your kiddos need something sweet, treat them with a scoop or two of their favorite flavor.
25. Have a pretend snow day without ever having to leave the house.
26. Hop aboard a magical carousel and enjoy a few turns around with your kiddo on this nostalgic treat.
27. Looking for a bite on the go? If you’re out and about in L.A., you’re sure to run into one of the delicious food carts around town.
28. Sip on a cup of pipping hot tea and feel the winter chill slowly melt away.
29. Stunning works of modern art and feats of architecture are only some of the things you’ll love about this hilltop museum.
30. Keep warm by busting a move at these kid-friendly dance classes.
31. Looking to satisfy that wintertime sweet tooth but want a healthier option? Try a fresh frozen popsicle.
32. Does your kiddo love themed parties? Here’s some awesome options for how to plan their next birthday party.
33. Take your aspiring astronauts to see the historic shuttle Endeavour.
34. Throw on a coat and scarf and get whimsical and wacky at this carnival-like amusement on the waterfront.
35. Swing by the largest hands-on science museum on the West Coast and let your kids warm up by exploring to their heart’s content.
36. Get some fresh air on those sunny days this winter and spend time with your little one doing a mommy and baby workout.
37. Visit the farmer’s market for fresh, local produce every day of the week.
38. Enjoy a hearty dinner with a side of showtunes at this authentic Italian restaurant.
39. Want to work out but can’t find someone to watch the kids? Try a gym that offers childcare so you can get fit without worrying about your little ones.
40. They don’t call L.A. Tinseltown for nothing, so take advantage of everything the city has to offer and catch a flick at one of the city’s classic movie theaters.
41. Warm up after a chilly day with a hearty crock pot meal.
42. Spend the day in family-friendly Westwood, where ice cream sandwiches and authentic Bruins gear are only a car ride away.
43. Or, bundle up for a day out on the town and play tourist all through downtown L.A.
44. Plan a girl’s date with your little princess starting with a mommy and me manicure.
45. Got a Harry Potter fan in your fam? Take your little wizard to the ultimate spot dedicated to the boy who lived.
46. Why can’t all museums be hands on? Check out this culturally rich museum that is sure to wear out your kiddos.
47. Mix up your routine with a sweet playdate that is sure to beat the winter blues.
48. Winter means few days off from school and work. Why not explore everything Los Angeles has to offer with one of these staycation ideas.
49. Golf’s the perfect sport for any time of year. Take a swing at any of L.A.’s coolest mini-golf spots.
Bonus: If you’re itching for more creative (and indoor!) fun this winter, check out our favorite mom and dad craft blogs for kids. We promise you won’t be disappointed.
What’s on your winter bucket list this year? Do you plan to cross any of these activities off your list?