50 Things to Do This Summer With Your Kids
Our mantra this summer is “discover something new.” Sure, you’ve got your favorite beach, picnic spot and ice cream shop. But with the endless variety the city has to offer, why stick to the same old-same old? Take these lazy summer days to explore and uncover. And with that in mind… here is our checklist of 50 fabulous things to discover about Los Angeles this summer.
1. Go swimming by the beach, not at the beach! Pick between a pool with history at the Annenberg Beach House or protected ocean water with slides at Seaside Lagoon. (Or visit both…)
2. Of course you’re hitting the park this summer. But have you visited these two hidden gems that are near the water and feature native plant life?
3. Take in a free show for kids at a local park. This summer’s production of “The Quibbling Siblings” will resonate with your young ones.
4. Deer graze on the hillside behind the stage as top acts from around the globe teach, perform and inform at the Ford Theater’s Big!World!Fun! series for kids.
photo credit: the consortium via flickr
6. Pinkies up! Get elegant at this Tea by the Sea in a villa with views.
7. Reach for the stars: you can see them from this favorite free spot.
9. Birds of a feather squawk together. This parrot sanctuary will leave you cawing for more.
10. Your favorite faeries await you in the gardens – and they’ve added new cowboy and mermaid tails, er, tales, too.
photo credit: Yamashiro
11. This local farmers market location is turning 100 and has a view, great food, super drinks and kids activities. And it’s only open in the summer…
12. Unless you’ve got an African safari planned this summer, this is your big chance to lie down with lions.
13. There’s only one spot in L.A. where you can find warm sand, fun rides, and cotton candy as big as your head. Not to mention a Ferris wheel that spins you over the ocean.
14. Who needs the pool, when the city is full of fountains fit for a splash?
15. Be careful not to get sand in your popcorn when you catch a movie on the beach.
16. Right about now, you’re missing your school’s art teacher a LOT – Martha Stewart you’re not. Let them get artsy and craftsy without the mess at home at one of our favorite drop-in art spots.
17. The painted ponies go up and down at these perennial family favorite attractions.
18. With such beautiful weather, there’s nothing like packing up a meal to go and heading outdoors for a family picnic. Try a new spot from our list of outdoors eating spots with spectacular scenery.
photo credit: All Star Baseball School
19. Summer is perfect for enjoying America’s pastime – Dodger Dogs, anyone?
20. Toast marshmallows over a roaring campfire with the local rangers.
21. Discover a new favorite restaurant – maybe one that another kid recommends?
22. Explore duck ponds, nature centers, gorgeous hiking and snapping turtles – all seconds from Sunset Boulevard.
photo credit: stev.ie via flickr
26. Paddle around the lotus blossoms at this local lake that features a playground, gourmet goodies and green green grass.
27. Take a family vacation where you can ride, fish, feed the chickens and get away from it all…
28. Just because your little ones are too small to walk doesn’t mean they can’t enjoy the outdoors, too.
29. Our favorite restaurant to open in an age: Superba. Yes, you can hit a hot spot with the kids!
30. Sip some wine in the shadow of an architectural gem while the kids play, food trucks serve up dinner and a DJ spins.
photo credit: Jolie Loeb
34. The Zoo has spring babies and a new Rainforest – have you been lately?
36. Head to Universal Studios to check out the new Despicable Me ride (it’s got a water feature, so you won’t broil in the valley in the summer!).
photo credit: Jennifer Arrow
38. Central Park has nothing on our mid-city park! With ponies, museums, a zoo, trains, hiking, playgrounds, golf and more, you can explore Griffith for days.
39. It’s too hot to cook! Food trucks by the beach keep you cool by letting you leave the stove off for an evening, and supplying the ocean breezes (and dinner!).
42. Shave ice is the new cupcake, with spots popping up all over town. It’s a tasty and different way to cool down.
photo credit: Meghan Rose
43. Anyone for polo? You can take in a match at the Will Rodgers polo fields for free almost every weekend in the summer.
46. Whew. Summer is exhausting. You’ve earned an icy brew – here are several spots where you can enjoy one and bring the kids along, too.
48. Schools out, but we still love our books. Revel in the air-conditioned, book-filled splendor of these fabulous local libraries.
49. Take time for a mommy & me mani-pedi and show off those slick tootsies in your summer sandals.
50. Take the kids to bounce off that energy (in the AC).
What is on your summer bucket list?