The best part of having kids in LA is the endless possibilities to entertain the kids. And during the summer, the options go next level. Here are 50 amazing family outings and activities to do during the summer that will have you wishing it would never end.
photo: Charlie G. via Yelp
- Horchata and churros are LA’s must-have desserts. Head to one of the best spots in LA to get your fix.
- Take in a free show for kids at a local park. Culver City Public Theater is doing Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice (starting Jul. 14 through Aug. 5), and the Actor’s Gang presents their annual August Shakespeare for kids (think your fave Bard plays done by characters from Marvel, Harry Potter or Star Wars).
photo: Jenifer Scott
- If you think aquariums are the only place to get up close and personal with sea life, head to one of these tidepools during low tide and get ready to be amazed.
- There’s a pizza, beer and ice cream joint on the eastside? And it’s kid-friendly? Of course, you gotta go!
- Take your budding archeologist (or everyone really) to see the once-in-a-lifetime King Tut exhibit.
- Can’t hit the farm this summer? Turns out, you can forage for your food right here in the city!
- Drive to Santa Barbara’s children’s museum and check out one of our favorite coastal cities that makes for a lovely day trip.
photo: bettie_xo via flickr
- Splash pads are the new playgrounds.
- The summer concerts series are starting. Take your pick from one or all of these amazing events.
- New green patches are popping up from downtown to the beach, for when you don’t have time to drive to the forest, but need to break up your summer in the asphalt jungle.
- Unless you’ve got an African safari planned this summer, this is your big chance to sleep with the lions.
photo: Meghan Rose
- Who needs the pool, when the city is full of fountains fit for a splash?
- Be careful not to get sand in your popcorn when you catch a movie on the beach.
- Hear ye hear ye. Here’s another good reason to visit Legoland this summer.
- Where can you ride a merry go round, fly on the Ferris wheel and watch the sunset over the ocean?
- With such beautiful weather, there’s nothing like packing up a meal to-go and heading outdoors for a family picnic. Try a spot from our list of outdoors eating spots with spectacular scenery.
- Reach for the stars: you can see them from this favorite free spot.
photo: Jenifer Scott
- Meet some of the cutest critters around at the Marine Mammal Care Center in San Pedro.
- Is a Dodger game getting too pricey? We’ve got a bargain of a baseball adventure.
- From Beauty and the Beast, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire to Annie and Star Wars, concerts under the stars at This Hollywood landmark is a most memorable treat. If you’re worried about bedtime, take them to a morning (free!) rehearsal.
- Shakespeare for you. Old zoo monkeying around for them. Picnics and playing for all. You’ve got to see a (free) production from the Independent Shakespeare Company LA this summer. (A Midsummer’s Night Dream is up next).
- Nothing says summer like freshly picked, sun-kissed berries. Are you in the mood for strawberries or blueberries today?
- Paddle around the lotus blossoms at this local lake that features a playground, gourmet goodies, and green green grass.
photo: Melissa Heckscher
- Climb the walls, but not at your house; visit this giant new rock climbing warehouse by the airport, where your monkeys will come home ready to crash!
- Your kids will quack up when you take them to these ducky spots!
- Sure you always hit the beach, but travel there on the Expo! Forget fighting traffic to get west; now the journey is half the fun.
- Speaking of the beach: go swimming by the beach, not at the beach! Pick a pool with history at the Annenberg Beach House.
- No sitter needed for a relaxing massage. Here’s a spa where you can bring the kids.
- Discover a new neighborhood! May we suggest a laid back beach town, an eastside happy spot, a sushi mecca, a retro pier, a boho corner, a unique eastside shopping center or a trip to the east (via the west)?
photo: FotoPop Kauai
- Even if your budget didn’t allow for a Hawaiian vacation, you can eat like you are on the big island when you chow here and indulge in the best shave ice on the mainland.
- Set sail for Catalina. Our guide will give you the most gorgeous and also adventurous vacation you can imagine, all just an hours sail away.
- Visit the beautiful butterflies in Exposition Park (and catch an IMAX flick while you’re there like the Mysteries of Egypt).
- Even if your own little plot is too small, or your thumb is too black, there are spots in LA that will teach your family how to dig in the dirt and get things growing.
- Read the books aloud to the kids. Then visit the Little House on the Prairie location, and watch the shows! (Or check out another famous TV landmark).
- Check out the talented theater performances by Occidental Children’s Theater.
- It’s too hot to cook! Food trucks are a fabulous way to dine outdoors, where everyone can pick their favorite foods. These are the fam-friendliest truck gatherings around.
- Pick a pavilion, any pavilion. LevittLA and Levitt Pasadena have great (free) shows for kids all summer long.
- See a show at the Will Geer Theatricum Botanicum, where weekend days are Fundays with family shows in the morning.
- Take a hike in the moonlight with the Tree People.
photo: Meghan Rose
- Anyone for polo? You can take in a match at the Will Rodgers polo fields for free almost every weekend in the summer.
- Sailing, sailing, over the bounding main; you can head out on the ocean for a “whale” of a time or a simple sail all from this gorgeous spot.
- One of our favorite museums in town has free concerts on the grounds every Fri. and Sat. night. Bring a blanket, a picnic and a pillow for when the kids tire of running around the tar pits.
photo: Brian Gonzalez via Creative Commons
- Whew. Summer is exhausting. You’ve earned an icy brew — here are several spots where you can enjoy one and bring the kids along, too. Beer not your thing? How about a chilled margarita?
- If you’re thinking Palm Springs is too hot for a summer mini-cation, think again. With all the pools, indoor activities and off-season rates, it’s a perfect getaway that won’t break the bank. Just don’t forget the sunscreen!
- Schools out, but we still love our books. Revel in the air-conditioned, book-filled splendor of these fabulous local libraries.
- Take time for a mommy & me mani-pedi and show off those slick tootsies in your summer sandals.
- Take the kids to bounce off that energy (in the AC).
To see what Red Tricycle Editors are up to this month, follow us on Instagram!
—Meghan Rose & Andie Huber