We know: The summer’s almost over? How did that happen? It’s true, the unofficial end of the season of sun and fun, Labor Day, is around the corner. (It’s September 5 this year.) While we don’t doubt you packed a lot in, there’s always room for more. Squeeze the last bit of fab family fun out of summer with our top picks from the best happenings and hot spots since Memorial Day. Go get ’em!
1. Get wet and wild at the Children’s Museum of Manhattan‘s H2O installation.
2. See real crocs at the American Museum of Natural History.
photo: via Splish SplashFacebook page
3. Slip and slide at an area water park.
4. Knock back a cold one at a kid-friendly beer garden, old or new.
photo: via Sesame Place
5. Hang with Elmo at Sesame Place.
6. Raise a cone to summer at one of NYC’s best ice cream spots.
7. Venture to one of Manhattan’s best playgrounds for an afternoon of fun.
8. Enjoy a meal outside at a kid-friendly spot.
9. Squint, eat some seafood by the water and pretend you’re in New England with a day trip to City Island.
10. Go boldly where, OK, probably lots of people have gone before but you haven’t yet at the Star Trek: Starfleet Academy Experience at the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum.
11. Plan a last-minute glamping getaway.
12. Make like every New Yorker ever before you and visit Coney Island (where there’s lots of new stuff to take in, in addition to the old.)
13. Swoop down the longest slide in New York City (and take in some cool art and amazing views while you’re at it.)
14. Do some carb-loading (or smoothie drinking, or pizza eating) at the brand new bread-themed Eataly Downtown.
15. Get away from it all at a low-tech but cozy Adirondack retreat.
16. Head to the Sugar Hill Museum of Art & Storytelling in Harlem and wear a crown like the king or queen that you are!
17. Swing from the trees via one of NYC’s area ziplines!
18. Beat the heat at a kid-friendly indoor spot with A/C.
19. Pick one of summer’s final blooms at an area farm.
20. Make a big last splash at one of our favorite NYC water playgrounds.
What are you doing in the dog days of summer? Tell us in the comments below!
— Mimi O’Connor