Autumn is around the corner, and Portland is the perfect place to be when the season turns. The changing leaves transform outdoor adventures into an explosion of colorful fun, and the indoor play options kick it up a notch for rainy days. From trips to the farm to knocking down pins at a local bowling alley, there’s a family activity fore every interest. Start filling your calendar now with some of these 50 amazing things to do with your kiddos all throughout the fall season. Read on to find out more.
photo: Meg via flickr
1. Visit a U-Pick Farm to pick up some pumpkins, take a hay ride or get lost in a corn maze.
2. All aboard! Grab your little locomotive lover and book tickets on the Amtrak Cascades for a day or weekend trip.
3. Admire the changing colors while you drink and dine at an alfresco pub. Most of them have outdoor heaters for when the weather turns colder.
4. Go bowling with the fam at one of Portland’s spectacular alleys. You’ll find there’s a whole lot more to do than bowling once you are there.
5. Enjoy beer, bratz, bands and weiner dog races when you celebrate Oktoberfest family-style at Oakes Park Amusement Park.
6. Visit your favorite local book store and find a good read to share with your little ones. Some even host regular concerts for tots!
7. Say Om! Get bendy with your clan at a local yoga class.
8. Grab a bucket and some shovels and head to the Oregon Coast to go clam digging.
9. Jump in piles of colorful, crunchy leaves at any of these destination playgrounds for a fun-filled day of play.
12. There’s no better way to usher fall in than with a day of fishing.
photo: James Carnes via flickr
13. Take a walk through the Halloween Trail at Fantasy Trail, which includes a 40-foot castle, suspension bridge and maze.
14. Tour one of our area’s most famous factories and take a closer look at a kid-favorite snack.
15. Go on a delicious U-Pick tour and explore the Hood River Fruit Loop.
16. Drop the kids off somewhere they’ll have tons of fun and enjoy a little alone time or a date.
17. Grab a quick bite to eat in Park Slope.
18. Visit the fun furry Oregon Flock & Fiber Festival in Canby.
19. Schedule these Fall Festivals for some extra autumnal excitement!
20. Spend the day doing pumpkin activities on Sauvie Island.
21. Feeling brave? Check out these spooky spots.
22. Get messy at these craft studios.
25. Visit a working farm and spend a day in the country going apple picking and shopping for homemade goodies.
26. Don’t miss the Fall Kite Festival on the Oregon Coast.
27. Check out these great waterfalls!
photo: Andy Beatty via flickr
28. Go on a camping trip that’s perfect city kids.
29. Welcome the fall season by catching all the changing colors in Portland and beyond.
30. Grab your helmets and get ready for a fun family adventure. Tak an exciting bike ride when you hit these trails.
31. Have a morning play date at friendly café where your little ones can entertain themselves while you sip on a latte.
32. Pamper your kiddos (and yourself!) with a mommy and me spa day.
33. Go apple picking!
34. Rock out with your kids at a seriously cool museum.
35. Go for a swim at one of these indoor pools.
36. Bundle up on those breezy fall days and visit a local park for some high flying adventures.
37. Head to the Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum in McMinnville, where your kiddos’ imaginations well soar.
38. Head out and warm up with a sweet cup of hot chocolate.
39. Bundle up and head to one of these places to watch the sun set.
40. On those nice fall days, take the kids out for a family hike.
41. Check out an incredible kids’ flick on one of the biggest screens in Portland.
42. Get your game on at one of these local arcades.
43. Hunt down the best parks for tromping through the fall leaves and making piles to jump in. Try the Portland Japanese Garden.
photo: melanie via flickr
44. Pick up some warmer duds for your kiddos without spending a fortune.
45. Make a trip to the French Prairie Gardens & Family Farm for their amazing month long Harvest Festival.
46. Go sky diving…indoors!
47. Hit the wall and go rock climbing.
48. Head to an indoor play space and let your littles get their wiggles out.
49. Head to Vancouver for a day filled with fun and play.
50. Visit the Portland Saturday Market for some yummy fall vegetables and head to the Kid’s Korner.
What’s on your must-do Fall list this year? Share your ideas with us in the comments section below.