10 Sensational Summer Activities
It’s mid June in our fair city and we’re lucky that the sun has graced us with at least a few days of sunshine to break up the intermittent showers rolling through Portland. With the weekend fast approaching and a house full of little ones who need entertaining, we’re rounded up 10 great ideas to keep everyone in the family happy. Whether its an exploration through the botanical gardens or a trip to the local soda fountain for a fizzy treat, these activities are sure to get you out of the house and on with your weekend adventure.
1. From worm composting class to planting veggies at a community garden, there are plenty of family gardening activities and events to keep little hands occupied. A green thumb not required.
2. Show dad how much you love him by planning a fun-filled Father’s Day weekend with activities that are perfect for whatever your pop loves, whether he loves to BBQ, hit the high seas, or sleep with a shark.
3. Head to your favorite beach or park and fly a kite. Your kids will love the chance to run around outside and it’s the perfect way to get them excited for the upcoming Lincoln City Summer Kite Festival next weekend.
4. Trade the sounds of cars for crickets by escaping the city for a weekend camping trip. There are several campgrounds near Portland that offer great options for families, including luxurious yurts.
5. Round up your little Lebowskis for a game of cosmic bowling that will make for a family game night that’s truly out of this world.
6. Spend the afternoon wandering through the Leach Botanical Garden and exploring it’s hidden gems, like the haunting stone cabin and the bizarre plant pot people.
7. Step back in time and sip on some delightful treats at one of Portland’s charming old-time soda fountain shops.
8. While your kids may not be old enough to know who Ramona is, they still can enjoy a walking tour of Beverly Cleary spots around the city.
9. It’s beginning to smell a lot like summer around Hood River. Mark your calendars for the upcoming Lavender Daze Festival–it’s totally free and you’re sure to bring the sweet smell of lavender back home with you.
10. We all scream for ice cream! Cool off this weekend with a scoop (or two) of your favorite flavor and enjoy the finger licking mess with your little sugar monsters.
What are your weekend plans? Got any other great ideas for what to do this weekend?
Want More Portland Adventures?
Let us help you be the rock star mom (or dad) we know you are! Sign up for our picks for the best things to see, do, eat and explore with your kids in Portland.