The flowers are blooming, the rains are dripping—spring has finally arrived. Rain or shine, Portland has an abundance of activities that will help you fully appreciate the season. Whether you’re looking to get outside and hunt for flowers or stay indoors and dance, there’s something perfect for you and your crew. Read on to find out more!
photo: Aaron Shumaker via flickr
1. Check out the amazing displays of flowers that the city has to offer. Catch the bloom!
2. Head out on your bikes for a family ride! Wheel down the Springwater Corridor, or plan on joining the whole neighborhood for Sunday Parkways. The first of five rides is in the Southeast on May 21st.
3. Get moving with dance classes! Watch your child master the basics of jazz, hip-hop, ballet or more. Then have them teach you!
4. Volunteer to help Friends of Trees plant new trees: kids are always welcome! You’ll all learn more about the gorgeous trees around our city.
5. Stay warm and cozy with these crock pot recipes. Don your aprons and let your kids pick, shop for, and assemble the meal themselves (with supervision, of course!).
6. Hunt for spring trilliums at Tryon Creek. Kids ages 2-6 and their parents can join their Story and Stroll walks that combine nature, art, literature, and movement into one immersive outing!
7. It’s basketball time! Find out where to enjoy March Madness with these tips.
8. Check out Multnomah County Library’s long list of storytimes at their various locations. Programs include stories in Spanish, Vietnamese, Russian, and Mandarin; stories with a focus on science and math, stories with a focus on black children, stories enjoyed in pajamas, and even stories with an Oregon Symphony musician! Whew!
photo: Patrick via flickr
9. Fight a rainy day with some pin-knocking bowling! Check out these great places to go in Portland.
10. Hoyt Arboretum covers over 189 acres and has 6,000 trees! Hiking trails (many stroller-friendly) wind around the different gardens such as Magnolias Trail or the Oak Trail. Stop by the Visitor Center first for a special free kids’ map full of challenging and fun activities.
11. Treat yourself or the mama and little gals in your life with a manicure at these awesome nail shops!
12. Visit the Audubon Society to learn about native birds at their Sanctuary, then challenge the whole family to test their skills on Forest Park’s trails!
13. Run your heart out at your pick of family runs around town. Dogwood trees, local brews, or even a Cinco de Mayo run await!
14. Farmer’s markets are filling up with the spring crops. Do some spring recipe “research” ahead of time, then head to the market at Portland State University on Saturdays and challenge your kids to think of a whole meal from what they can find there. Cook and enjoy!
photo: Eric Prado via flickr
15. Splash your way through spring at these great indoor pools around town!
16. Get lost among the tulips at the Woodburn Tulip Festival. A great photo spot for lifelong memories.
17. Make some super cool toys with stuff laying around the house. Your kids will become master tinkers!
18. The Alpenrose Dairy Easter Egg Hunt has been going on for over 50 years! Did your parents take you? Continue the tradition or start a new one this Easter!
19. Slurp up ramen at these great kid-friendly places around town. That noise the noodles make as you slurp is encouraged!
20. Plant flowers, herbs, or the ever-popular bean in your windowsill and watch it grow! Spend some time wandering around The Portland Nursery and let your child pick their own special plant to care for.
photo: Bruce Fingerhood via flickr
21. Portland has so many Spring Festivals to enjoy! From trains to Latino culture to alien invasions, check out the fun celebrations.
22. Learn about our friendly trees in the Pacific Northwest and all around the world at the World Forestry Discovery Museum.
23.Go see a flick at the theater with some of the year’s best recommendations.
24. The flowers might be popping up in town, but snow still covers Mt Hood. Get some spring skiing in at Ski bowl, or try the nighttime Cosmic Tubing, complete with laser light shows!
25. Get out of town and find a whole new adventure. These four places are all nearby and brimming with fun.
What’s your favorite spring activity? Tell us in the comments below!