Don’t skimp out on the most important meal of the day! Whether you’re an early riser or a night owl, you can start your day off on the right foot with these awesome (and super easy) meal ideas. Watch out—cereal might just become a thing of the past (no offense, Cheerios!).
photo: Meal Makeover Moms via Flickr
1. Morning Sundae: Do you have a big ice-cream fan at home? Well, ice-cream might not be a good choice for breakfast, but how about a yogurt sundae? Sundaes layered with yogurt, cereal, granola, and fresh fruit give a great easy morning kick that kids will love. Lay out a parfait buffet and let kids make their own.
2. Beyond the Sunny Side: Go beyond the sunny side egg with a little tweak! Cut a circle in the toast bread. Add oil or butter in the frying pan, then add the bread. Let bread cook for one minute. Then crack the egg over the bread so the egg yolk fills the circle. Add a little salt, then turn it over and let the egg cook for about 2 minutes. Whether you call it Egg in the Basket, Toad in a Hole, or another of this dish’s creative names, we’ll bet your little ones will call it yummy.
3. Morning Pizzas: Here’s a healthy, delicious and homemade pizza recipe for a champ’s morning kick! Toast English muffin halves, drizzle with olive oil, and layer some tomato slices and hard cooked egg slices, top with some cheese and broil 5 minutes or until the cheese melts.
photo: Ross Catrow via Flickr
4. Apple Stuffin’ Muffins: Apple season will soon be upon us and we can’t think of a better way to use those sweet apples than with these apple muffins, which your kids will totally love. Serve them for breakfast, an after dinner dessert, or a mid-afternoon snack.
5. Farina With Apricots and Almonds: Swap a bowl of oatmeal with a warm farina. It’s a great warm treat for cool mornings and kids will love the sweet syrup. Bring milk and some salt to a boil in a small saucepan. Whisk in the farina. Reduce the heat and simmer, whisking occasionally, until thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Spoon into bowls and top with sugar, apricots, and almonds.
6. Mediterranean: Do you love Mediterranean cuisine? Try an easy Mediterranean inspired sandwich with cream cheese, tomato and cucumber. Toast two bagel halves and spread cream cheese on each half. Layer cucumber and tomato on top and that’s it! Get creative by making faces, 2 green eyes and a big tomato smile.
photo: Food Banjo
7. Peanut Butter Toast with Apple and Honey: When you get tired of plain old toast, fancy it up a little with this fantastic idea from Food Banjo. It’s a magical combination that takes minutes to make. Get the recipe by clicking here.
photo: Breville USA via Flickr
10. Kale Apple Smoothie: Don’t be scared off by the bright green color—this smoothie by From Scratch, Mostly is actually kid-approved. Adding lots of apple, bananas and peanut butter hides the flavor of the kale, which makes it an amazing quick breakfast to start your day off on the right foot. Click here to snag the recipe.
12. Stuffed French Toast: Who doesn’t love french toast, especially when it’s stuffed?! The chefs of San Francisco’s Foreign Cinema dish to us about their delicious french toast recipe, which they say their kids totally love. Pssst…If you’re looking for a gluten-free french toast option, check this out.
photo: chadilaksono via Flickr
13. Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins: Whip up a batch of these muffins, and you’ll have a delicious grab-and-go breakfast for kids and adults alike. The chocolate chips make them a winner with the little ones, but they’re also filled with good-for-you ingredients. To grab the recipe, click here.
14. Blueberry Banana Mango Breakfast Pops: Popsicles for breakfast? Sign us up! These sweet pops are easy to customize with your crew’s favorite fruit, and you can even sneak some spinach in for an extra healthy boost. Click here to get the recipe.
15. Paleo Egg Muffins: These high-protein bites will keep the tots satisfied all morning long. Filled with sausage, veggies and eggs, it’s a complete meal that fits right in the palm of your hand. Click here to get the recipe.
Do you have a kid-approved and easy-to-make yummy breakfast recipe or idea? Post it into the comment box below!