70 Ideas for Fall Fun in San Francisco
Fall in the Bay Area is glorious. For Bay Area families, Autumn means that the days of omnipresent fog becomes a distant memory and the sun-drenched days are filled with a building excitement in the air for every kid’s favorite holiday: Halloween! From neighborhood excursions to harvest festivities to indoor activities when the weather turns sour, the Red Tricycle editorial team dug up 70 awesome things to do with your kids in San Francisco this fall. Now get out there and play!
1. Nothing screams Autumn more than a trip to a local u-pick apple farm.
2. Practice your swing at a putt putt golf course.
3. Enjoy the changing leaves and go biking on a kid-friendly bike path.
4. Take in the groovy sights and sounds in the Haight.
5. Bored after school? Here are fun 5 things to do after the bell rings.
6. Throw on a light coat to traverse up and down San Francisco’s hidden stairways.
7. Visit a working farm that’s full of friendly critters.
8. Enjoy some interactive indoor fun and education at the Exploratorium.
9. Rent a paddle boat and check out the ducks and turtles at Stow Lake in Golden Gate Park!
10. Indulge in some apple cider, the quintessential Fall drink.
11. Visit the San Francisco Aquarium of the Bay, a perfect indoor activity for a chilly day.
12. Get the kiddos outside for a magical carousel ride in the crisp fall air.
13. Center those little bodies and minds at a family yoga class.
14. Rainy day blues? Check out the Bay Area’s other discovery museum.
15. Go trainspotting with your little conductors.
16. Plan a movie night and watch, It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown.
17. Head down to Fisherman’s Wharf to see the odd sights and sounds at Ripley’s Believe It or Not Odditorium!
18. Indulge in fall produce at the Farmer’s Market.
19. Sign up your kiddo for a drama class and watch them take to the stage.
20. Take the little ones on a stroller hike.
21. Don’t miss the Half Moon Bay Art and Pumpkin Festival on October 13-14, 2012.
22. Get the little ones ready for winter with some ski tips that will have them hitting the slopes in no time.
23. Marvel at the Navy ships and air shows during San Francisco’s much anticipated fleet week.
24. On those sunny fall days, pack a picnic and enjoy a meal outdoors.
25. For those rainy days, stay in a catch a kid-friendly flick.
26. Go on a guided ghost walk at San Francisco’s City Hall.
27. Head to a museum that’s perfect for your little superheroes.
28. Take a ferry ride to Angel Island with the kiddos before it gets too chilly.
29. Ward off the autumn chill with a spot of tea.
30. If the Bay Area weather’s got you down, head south on a family road trip. Here are a few tips to make the trip go smoothly.
31. Go out and enjoy the beautiful fall colors.
32. Get crafty with the kiddos with some cool chalkboard art.
33. Escape the city for a day trip along the coast.
34. Head indoors on those rainy days and start playing!
35. Save up your quarters to play some pinball at this super fun museum.
36. Go for a hike.
37. Just because summer is over doesn’t mean you can’t take a dip in the pool.
38. Take a day trip to Russian River area, where the weather will still be lovely well into October.
39. Make this easy and delicious recipe for Pumpkin Pockets.
40. For the brave little ones, get into the spirit of Halloween by visiting the Winchester Mystery House.
41. Go on a hot chocolate taste test around the Bay Area.
42. Create some chalkboard art.
43. Take a weekend trip down to Disneyland for Mickey’s Halloween party.
44. Nosh on some savory soul food that will leave those little tummies feeling happy.
45. Need a weekend activity? Head to Oakland’s Chinatown for some off-the-beaten path culture, food and kid-friendly fun.
46. Visit the Randall Museum for a Family Halloween Festival on October 27.
47. Whip up some pumpkin scones with cinnamon glaze.
48. Head out of town on a quick day trip.
49. Take a Bite Off Broadway.
50. Get up close and personal with some farm animals before the winter chill sets in.
51. After checking out the many pumpkin patches in Half Moon Bay, take the rest of the afternoon to explore the area.
52. Go marvel at the Bison in Golden Gate Park.
53. Take advantage of Indian summer and head to the beach.
54. Go out on a windy day and fly a kite.
55. Grab a scarf and binoculars for some bird watching.
56. Grab your rods and reels and spend the day fishing.
57. Spend the afternoon at the Japanese Tea Garden, the oldest public Japanese Garden in the United States.
58. Grab a good book and spend a few hours reading to your little ones.
59. Check out some seriously cool creepy crawlers on a nature hike.
60. Get the kiddos out of the house and explore a legendary warship.
61. Go on a sweet tour that your kids will love.
62. Play tourist in the city and spend the day checking out all the favorite sights.
63. Enjoy dinner out and take in the fabulous views of the city and beyond.
64. Check out all of the whimsical attractions at this kid-approved amusement park.
65. Have a playdate at the city’s newly renovated park.
66. Explore an island right in our own backyard.
67. Visit the Orient without ever having to leave the city.
68. Eat out at one of San Francisco’s old school restaurants.
69. Go on an art exploration adventure at this museum on a hill.
70. Explore a cool city that’s right on the other side of the Bay.
What are your fall family traditions? Share your favorite things to do in the fall in a comment below!