Thanks to President’s Day (Mon., Feb. 17), kids can enjoy the liberties of being a child for an extra day this weekend. Maximize the free time you and your kids have together before homework takes reign again. Whether its venturing out for a day trip or staying local, our list of activities and events will inspire you to your kids’ extended weekend with joy.
1. Valentine’s Day isn’t over just yet at Playland-Not-at-the-Beach. With love in the air all weekend, you and your kids can relive the bygone days of carnivals and win special Valentine’s Day prizes.
photo credit: itsbeach via creativecommons flickr
2. Blast into the past at the Sharpsteen Museum. With their scaled down models and historical displays of Calistoga, kids can get an idea of how President Andrew Johnson’s home might’ve looked in 1868.
3. Escape the city and head to the mountains for a family ski weekend. First time on the slopes for your little ones? Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered.
photo credit: Emma Smith
5. Continue with Valentine’s Day celebrations at the St. Valentine’s Festival on Saturday at the Marin Country Mart.
7. Make San Francisco your playground and take your family on this urban scavenger hunt adventure.
9. Take snapshots of your kids having fun against a gorgeous scenic backdrop at any of these Bay Area playgrounds.
photo credit: katie b. via yelp.com
10. On Monday, sit back in a comfy theater chair and enjoy a kid-friendly flick at a theater where crying tots are welcomed with open arms.
11. Enter the world of our favorite and most famous two best friends Frog and Toad at The Contemporary Jewish Museum. They’re on the big screen this Monday.
12. For a more nature-y adventure: Check our guide to 12 Bay Area backroads where you and your kids can loop around on woodsy trails.
photo credit: vastateparkstaff via creativecommons flickr
13. Meet the Velveteen Rabbit and listen to his story in this musical by an award-winning composer/lyricist.
14. Need more ideas on how to keep your kiddos entertained through-out Presidents Day weekend and beyond? Check out our album of crafty science experiments you can do right at home.
What’s on your three-day weekend bucket list?
— Christal Yuen & Scott Wardell