14 Things to Do on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
On the heels of returning to school from a long holiday vacation, comes yet another holiday and another mad scramble to find things to entertain our kids. Whether you need a drop-off option until you can leave work early or are lucky enough to take the day off, we’ve got 14 ideas to keep you and your kids busy all day long on January 20.
1. Take the kids to the Seattle Children’s Museum to learn about the legacy of Dr. King and his “I Have a Dream” speech.
2. Who doesn’t love inflatable structures, giant slides and obstacle courses?! Hit one of these places to catch some serious air and get the wiggles out.
3. Dozens of model railroad displays and layouts, along with hands-on activities will be the highlight of this year’s Model Railway Show (now in it’s 40th year!).
4. Break out your Hawaiian finest and beat the winter blues with a tropical experience at the Seattle Aquarium.
5. Garfield High School will host a slew of events honoring Dr. King. Enjoy family workshops and then a special rally and march to Westlake Park.
6. Did someone say free admission? In celebration of Dr. King’s legacy, the Washington State History Museum is offering free admission all day long.
7. In honor of Dr. King and his legacy of service, observe the day by giving back to the community. That’s right! Put on your rain boots and raincoat and help collect litter along the Interurban Trail. Trash bags will be provided.
8. If you’ve taken the day off of work and are at home with the kiddos, here are eight great activities that will cure the “I’m bored” part of the day. From rainbow bowling to bathtub fishing, you’ll definitely want to bookmark these ideas.
9. Treat your kiddo to a fun and educational manners class. This interactive class taught by Arden Clise will teach children the social skills and table manners they need to become polite, confident, and self-assured young ladies and gents. Psst! This class will include a three-course lunch.
10. Just because it’s not summer doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy some swimsuit time. Gather up your lil’ water bugs and head to one of our favorite indoor pools, ideal for wintertime.
11. Sign your LEGO-loving kiddo up for an engineering workshop at Play-Well Teknologies. Little builders, ages 5-8, will love the Pre-Engineering Workshop and more advanced builders, ages 8-12, will learn tons of cool new things in the Special Engineering Workshop.
12. Help spruce up Point Defiance Park alongside other volunteers and give back to the community through a day of service. After, head over to Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium to check out the many indoor exhibits.
13. In honor of Martin Luther King, Jr., the The Northwest African American Museum is hosting a family day. From books about the Civil Rights Movement to speeches to films, you’ll find something for everyone in your brood to enjoy.
14. Head for the hills to seek out some fun tubing and sledding hot spots. Need we say more?
What do you and your family plan to do on MLK Day? Tell us about your plans in the comment section below.
Photo thanks to Mark Grantor
Let us help you be the rock star mom (or dad) we know you are! Sign up for our picks for the best things to see, do, eat and explore with your kids.