On the heels of returning to school from a long holiday break comes Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day—yet another holiday and another day off work and school for many (let freedom ring!). Instead of hanging at home or spending the day plugged in, remember the iconic civil rights leader by reflecting and serving. Scroll down for 10 ways to commemorate the life and legacy of Dr. King.
photo: Northwest African American Museum Facebook page
1. Take the fam to the Northwest African American Museum to learn about the legacy of Dr. King and his iconic speeches including his “I Have a Dream” speech.
2. Did someone say free admission? In celebration of Dr. King’s legacy, the Washington State History Museum is offering free admission all day and special MLK family programming with artists from the Onyx Fine Art Collective and performers from Northwest Tap Connection.
3. Garfield High School will host a slew of events honoring Dr. King. Enjoy family workshops, a rally and march and an Opportunity Fair.
photo: Seattle Municipal Archives via Flickr
4. Take the kiddies to the Seattle Children’s Museum to learn about the legacy of Dr. King through special programs emphasizing collaboration, social justice and equality.
5. Join hundreds of families at the City of Tacoma’s signature event – the 30th Annual Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration – to celebrate Jan. 15 as a day on, not a day off. The celebration will include music, dance, and poetry that highlight the strength, resiliency and creativity of young men of color.
6. Volunteer with the Nature Consortium and help restore an important habitat in West Seattle while enjoying live music. Psst… a light snack will be provided for all volunteers. Feel free to bring a sack lunch and make a day of it.
photo: USACE HQ via Flickr
7. Celebrates Dr. King’s role in the environmental justice movement by exploring one of our state’s three national parks for free.
8. If you can’t make it to a national park, enjoy a Washington state park for free. In honor of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, Discover Passes will not be required to visit.
9. Help spruce up Tacoma’s parks alongside other volunteers and give back to the community through a day of service. Afterwards, head over to Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium to check out the many indoor exhibits.
photo: Brietta Tatro
10. Start your morning off with the 5th Annual Martin Luther King Jr. Prayer Breakfast. Hear from Dr. John Perkins and the award-winning University Presbyterian Church Gospel and find out who will win this year’s Mountaintop Awards.
How do you and your family plan to celebrate MLK Day? Tell us in the comments below.
— Kristina Moy