“Crunchy-Crunchy” Sesame & Panko-Crusted Chicken
This oven-baked chicken is crusted with Japanse style bread crumbs, which leaves your dinner not only crisp and juicy, but also calorie-low(er) and stain-free. We love that this recipe is a great alternative to the messy and oily deep fried chicken. Our friends at A Little Yumminess call this recipe a keeper and we couldn’t agree more.
- 1 kg (2 pounds) chicken wings or drumsticks
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup fresh or panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
Thai sweet chilli sauce
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Wash chick and pat dry. Rub all over with a little salt.
- Place the beaten egg in a shallow dish. On another plate, mix the breadcrumbs with the sesame seeds and some salt and pepper to taste.
- Dip each piece of chicken into the egg, drain off excess, and coat it well with the breadcrumb mixture. Press the breadcrumbs firmly onto chicken so that they adhere properly. Repeat with the rest of the chicken.
- Arrange the chicken on the baking tray and bake in the oven for 45 minutes, turning halfway while cooking, until chicken is golden brown and cooked. Transfer to a serving plate and enjoy while hot and crunchy!
When the chicken is cooked, brush some sweet chilli sauce all over the chicken and bake again for 2-3 minutes until caramelized.
For a spicy twist, omit the salt in the breadcrumb mixture and substitute with 1 tbsp cajun seasoning instead, and a pinch of cayenne pepper for extra heat.
Try this with rice for a full meal. Simran and Stacie recommend brown or white rice with a vinaigrette of 1/4 cup soy, 1/4 cup rice wine and 3 tbsp seasame oil. Or maybe just plain soy sauce for the simplest of yums.
Let us help you be the rock star mom (or dad) we know you are! Sign up for our picks for the best things to see, do, eat and explore with your kids.