We’ve found your new favorite weeknight meal, courtesy of The Flavours of Kitchen. The key to this succulent chicken is in the orange sauce, enhanced with brown sugar, soy sauce and fresh ginger. It’s easy to remix this recipe too—you can substitute chicken breast or different veggies if that’s what your crew prefers.
2 pounds chicken thigh, bone-in and skin on
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
1.5 tbsp fresh ginger, cut into thin julienne
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tsp red chili flakes
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup red bell pepper, cut
2 tsp cornstarch
1/4 cup water
1. In a nonstick pan, heat 1 tablespoon oil. Cook the chicken thigh on medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes on each side.
2. Mix orange juice, ginger, sugar, soy sauce, red chili flakes, salt and pepper.
3. Preheat the slow cooker on high heat for 20 minutes. Then add chicken thigh and orange juice mixture.
4. Cover and cook on high for about 2 hours. Stir a couple of times in between, to make sure the juice is evenly covering all the chicken thighs.
5. At the end of 2 hours, stir cornstarch and water together. Pour it into the slow cooker and mix well.
6. Then add chopped red bell pepper. Give everything a good stir and cook on high for another 45 minutes to 1 hour.
7. To serve, garnish with chopped green onions.