Autumn Activities: 40 Things to do This Fall
Fall is that glorious time of the year when parents can savor the time between back to school and the hectic holiday seasons. Fall is also host to one of the most kid-friendly holidays of the year: Halloween. As the weather starts to cool off, the excitement starts warming up as harvest festivals, pumpkin patches, and fall festivities hit San Diego. We’ve gathered up some great ideas for making the most of this fall season with your family, so get out there and enjoy it!
1. Grab a basket and pick your own apples.
2. If the weather turns sour, head indoors to a museum just for kids.
3. Hit the pool for some laps and get those little ones swimming like the pros.
4. Learn about flora and fauna at the Botanic Gardens.
6. Treat the family to a day at the boardwalk.
8. Head to your favorite local park and watch your kiddos romp around the playground.
9. Visit an interactive museum where everything is hands-on.
10. Get outside for some endless fun at Balboa Park.
11. Now that school’s in full swing, change up the old lunchbox routine with some new lunch ideas.
12. Get crafty at a cool art studio.
13. Don’t fret if your kiddos haven’t decided on their costumes yet. There are plenty of awesome kids costume shops in San Diego.
14. Pack up the kiddos and head to Carlsbad.
15. Mild weather means that there’s still time to go fishing.
16. Spend the day at your favorite local beach.
17. Take the day to go under the sea.
18. Plan a trip via train to a scenic destination.
19. There’s still time to pack a picnic and monkey around at the playground.
20. Bored after school? Here are 5 things to do after school.
21. Carve a spooky jack-o-lantern.
22. Take a trip up to Disneyland for Mickey’s Halloween Party.
23. Get out the wiggles at an indoor playspace.
24. Visit an upscale restaurant that’s both delicious and kid-friendly.
25. Head out of the city to pick pumpkins, drink cider, and ride tractors at seasonal harvest festivals.
26. Mom and Dad get coffee, kiddos have fun at Kid Ventures.
27. Strike a pose at a family yoga studio.
28. Take a day trip to a nearby town where you can experience the changing season.
29. Walk along the waterfront and go for a ride on a kid-favorite carnival ride.
30. Visit San Diego’s most picturesque park.
31. Play tourist in your own city and explore a San Diego landmark.
32. Head to the farmer’s market for some fall produce.
33. Plant a garden and cultivate a green thumb with your little ones.
34. Pamper yourself and your little princess with a spa day.
35. Urge your dentist to participate in the Halloween buy-back candy program.
36. Plan a movie night and watch It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown
37. Have a playdate at a park that has both surf and turf.
38. Explore a working naval ship that your little sailors will love.
39. Grab a slice of pizza with the fam.
What’s on your must-do Fall list this year? Share your family’s traditions and favorite activities in a comment below.
Want More SoCal Adventures?
Let us help you be the rock star mom (or dad) we know you are! Sign up for our picks for the best things to see, do, eat and explore with your kids in SoCal.