In honor of Presidents’ Day on Monday, February 18th, kids will have an extra day to celebrate being a pint-sized patriot in America’s Finest City: San Diego. We’ve got plenty of family-friendly Presidents’ Day weekend activities and ways to play and bond as a family at events including close to home ski trips, LEGOLAND Movie Days, tidepooling, day-trip train rides, a 5K through San Diego Botanic Garden with your dog and so much more! Read on for the details and start planning your weekend now!
1. If Presidents’ Day is also the start of the Ski Week break from your kids’ school, hit the snowy slopes for some real wintry fun. See our guide to the best family winter vacations near San Diego.
2. Staying local for the long weekend? Head to what was voted the “Best California Attraction” in our own hometown: Balboa Park. We tell you how to get the most out of exploring this gem with your kids in tow.
5. Just because you’re on a budget, doesn’t mean you can’t rock the weekend. Here are over twenty free or cheap activities to do in San Diego.
6. Foodie family? San Diego is bursting at the belt buckle with delicious food options both savory and sweet. See our favorite spots to get everything from donuts, croissants, pancakes, s’mores-inspired fare and hot chocolate to where to bite into the best tacos or feast your eyes on and then treat yourself to our city’s most Instagrammable food.
7. Want to spend the holiday relaxing with a great craft beer? Raise your pint at these family-friendly craft breweries.
8. Go see a kid-friendly flick at one of the best movie theaters in the city for families.
photo: The Bywaters via Flickr
9. Run away to the circus… literally! Circus Vargas is in town to entertain kids of all ages and the young at heart with awe-inspiring performances.
11. Interact with camels, zebras, reptiles and an impressive array of creatures big and small at our favorite spots to have an amazing animal encounter in San Diego.
12. Go Wyldstyle at LEGOLAND Movie Days! This event celebrates The LEGO Movie 2 with character meet and greets, a dance party with Emmet and more.
15. Show your puppy some love by taking him to the 5K Paw Walk through the San Diego Botanic Garden. Enjoy food (for people and dogs), pet products and the unbeatable company of pooches and puppies.
16. Bask in San Diego’s warm, sunny “winter” by taking a hike. We’ve hand-picked the best hiking trails for kids so all you have to do is lace up those shoes and go!
17. Take advantage of the time off school to stay up later and experience some kid-friendly nightlife with these after dark activities.
photo: Spencer Dahl via Unsplash
18. Make it a patriotic Presidents’ Day weekend by taking the family to explore the USS Midway. Read our guide to visiting the largest aircraft carrier in the world that you can tour with kids!
19. Enjoy dinner out to connect as a clan. Here’s a list of restaurants where kids eat free in San Diego, here are some super family date spots and these eateries have fantastic play areas for kids.
20. Still looking for more ways to spend the holiday? Look no further than our list of 100 things to do with kids in San Diego.