- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2/3 cup grated carrot
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 2 2/3 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 (4.5 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (28 ounce) can peeled and crushed tomatoes, with liquid
- In a 5 quart slow cooker, combine olive oil, onion, garlic, carrot, spinach, tomato paste, mushrooms, salt, oregano, basil, bay leaves and tomatoes.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours. Stir, reduce heat to low and cook for 1 to 2 hours more.
- Serve with whole wheat pasta, ravioli or salmon or chicken breast. Tip: If your kids are finicky about “lumps,” throw the sauce into a blender or food processor before serving (remove bay leaves first).