Who is this person taking over your body? It’s the new you — that’s who. Parenthood will change anybody in funny, wild and wonderful ways. Here are 18 things that happen.
1. You call everyone under four feet tall “sweetheart” or “sweetie.”
photo credit: Mark Probst via flickr
2. You rarely get to have all of your desert to yourself. Everyone wants a bite.
photo credit: m01229 via flickr
3. You swear you’re not scatterbrained … and then you realize you walked out the door wearing your leggings inside out and tried to unlock your car with a pacifier.
photo credit: Joshua Ganderson via flickr
4. Something will inevitably break. Something important like your great-great grandmother’s 18th-century tea set.
photo credit: Matt Reinbold via flickr
5. You’ve learned how to turn the most simple and cheap things (like a plain ol’ bucket of water) into hours of afternoon fun.
photo credit: Mike Knapp via flickr
6. You frequently end phone conversations with “Stop that! Gotta go.” And your friends understand why.
photo credit: The Italian Telephone via flickr
7. Hand sanitizer never leaves your side. Like, never. No, seriously, never-ever.
photo credit: Valerie Everett via flickr
8. You call your husband “Daddy” in a way that is anything but kinky. Even in public. Even long after the kids have gone to bed.
photo credit: David Amsler via flickr
9. You start talking in a high-pitched baby voice at home and sometimes to the grocery store checkout person, by accident.
photo credit: redjar via flickr
10. You point out the cute doggie or the firetruck, and then realize your kids aren’t in the car and your best friend isn’t all that interested in “pretty doggies.”
11. The slow cooker has become your new best friend.
photo credit: Janine via flickr
12. What gym? Your workout routine now consists of squatting to pick up the toys and books littering your living room. Feel the burn!
photo credit: Kajsa Bergman Fallen via flickr
13. You turn around every time you hear “Mom!” Even if your kids aren’t with you.
photo credit: ktoine via flickr
14. Your purse contains everything your family needs to survive for days, including half-eaten snacks from last November.
photo credit: valerie renee via flickr
15. You vow to teach your kid good manners. And it works out — sometimes.
photo credit: Janine Dodge
16. You have one really buff arm from carrying around a massive diaper bag. And, after that, a 20-pound toddler.
photo credit: Mrs. Flinger via flickr
17. You think “sleeping in” is waking up at the ripe hour of 6:30 a.m.
photo credit: Thomas Widmann via flickr
18. You feel like your real, true self. And you’ve never been filled with so much love.
photo credit: Kristina Moy
— Kristina Moy, Ayren Jackson-Cannady, Phebe Wahl, Meghan Rose, Janine Dodge, Ruby Germain, Erin Lem & Kelly Aiglon