When it comes to the latest tech know-how, kids have it figured out. They take to it like a fish to water, and sometimes it leaves parents feeling… obsolete. But not this time. We’ve dug deep into the new Fire Kids Edition Tablets so you can get a head start on the ins-and-outs of it before one arrives on your doorstep (and here’s a code to save 20%). Who knows, this might be the chance you’ve been waiting for to teach your little techie a thing or two about her new favorite device. Read on to get started.
1. “All you can eat” content. Each new Kids Edition Tablet comes with a year’s subscription to FreeTime Unlimited, which gives your curious cutie access to 15,000 books, videos, games and apps, all for free. And it’s good stuff too. We’re talking content from PBS Kids, Disney, Simon & Schuster, Amazon Originals and more! (Psst… you can also remove FreeTime Unlimited content that doesn’t fit with your family’s groove.)
2. It can safely navigate the web. Order up over 55,000 carefully curated kid-friendly websites and YouTube videos using the FreeTime Web Browser. Enable it under Web Settings in your child’s profile to get things started.
3. It’s goal-oriented. Put your star chart on the back burner, because parents can set daily goals for reading, watching and playing through FreeTime. Find it under your child’s profile settings (Setting Daily Goals and Time Limits). Then let the tablet know exactly how much time you’d like to spend on each activity, daily. Parents also have the option to block entertainment content until those daily goals are met.
4. It can manage screen time. Every parent knows successful screen time interactions are the product of … well, we’re still working on that one. But with the Fire Kids Edition, you’ve got a partner in setting limits. Set Bedtime and Daily Activity time frames through FreeTime, by clicking on the child’s profile settings and then selecting Set Daily Goals and Time Limits. Don’t you love it when technology is on your side?
5. It limits the internet. While in FreeTime, your kids cannot make in-app purchases or access the internet or social media. This means no surprises for you, Mom and Dad!
6. It’s got common sense (media). You’ll find Common Sense Media ratings and reviews on Kindle books and movies to help you make the right choices for your crew. And parents can rest easy knowing Amazon partners with them to cull the websites kids can view on FreeTime, too.
7. It helps you connect with your kids. New to the Fire Kids Edition Tablet is the Parent Dashboard. Sign into the dashboard to find books, videos, educational apps and games your kids will enjoy. They even feature Discussion Cards that provide talking points and prompts so you can easily talk to your kids about what they’re discovering.
8. It lets you create individual profiles. Your kid deserves a profile as unique as her personality. With the new tablets you can create up to four individual child profiles, customize each child’s access to content from the parent’s library and decide which FreeTime Unlimited titles will be viewable in each profile. Think of this new feature as a way to customize each kiddo’s tablet experience.
9. It can grow with your child. As your child grows, so grows your tablet. While you might start out with more stringent parental controls when you child is young, you can tailor content and provide more freedom for your child as she gets older.
10. It’s practically indestructible. The Fire Kids Edition Tablet comes with a protective case (in pink, blue or yellow) and a two-year guarantee, so kids can be kids, and parents don’t have to worry.
11. It can expand. The new editions come with expandable storage because, like most kids, yours wants all the stuff. Using microSD cards, both the 16GB and 32GB Fire Kids Editions can transform into 256GB tablet behemoths. It’s almost too easy to get the room you need.
12. It’s fully supported. While the Fire Kids Edition Tablet is easy to use and navigate, the support you need is available. Amazon’s customer service team members can easily answer all your questions, from A to Z.
Ready to check it out for yourself? Find the all-new Fire Kids Edition tablets on Amazon.com starting at $99.
Is there anything on this list that surprised you? What other insider tips do you have? Share the love in the comments below!