If you’re looking for a hearty meal that you can heat up for leftovers throughout the week you’ve found it. Courtesy of Sundays with Jennie, this recipe features turkey, but use whatever meat your kids are most fond of (chicken, beef, you name it). And, if you want to give it a healthy boost, Jennie suggests throwing it over spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles.
3 garlic cloves
1 yellow onion
3 carrots, peeled and diced
1/2 cup of mushrooms, diced
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 lb extra lean ground turkey
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 can crushed tomatoes
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp dried parsley
salt and pepper to taste
1. Prepare all veggies – by hand or food processor dice garlic, onion, carrots and mushrooms into small pieces.
2. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in large saucepan over medium high heat and then add diced vegetables to pot. Sauté vegetables for 5-7 minutes
3. Add the dry white wine to vegetables, continue stirring until wine dissolves.
4. Mix in ground meat, and stir occasionally, until meat is cooked through (about 5 minutes)
5. Add crushed tomatoes, red pepper flakes and dried basil and parsley and mix well.
6. Add in bay leaf, and simmer sauce for 30 minutes ( less if you’re short on time) stirring occasionally. Add salt and pepper to taste.