Nearly two years ago I did what I previously thought was unthinkable: I walked away from my career. For someone who has worked and hustled for everything I’ve had since I was 15, it was an adjustment, to say the least.
I’ve learned a lot about what not to do as a new stay-at-home mom. Thankfully, I’ve finally learned a lot of healthy things to do as well. And even though I traded boardrooms for carpool, spreadsheets for bake sales—there are a lot of similarities between corporate managers and stay-at-home moms.
1. They have a boss.
Some are titans of industry… and some are 3-foot tall tyrants who go ballistic when their chicken nuggets touch their broccoli.
2. They clean up messes.
They clean up messes like from customer complaints—or piles of foot shredding LEGO bricks.
3. Coffee keeps their eyes open and prevents them from tearing people apart.
Be it adults and/or tiny humans.
4. They manage people who are sometimes emotional and erratic…
…no matter the age.
5. Sometimes they look at the people around them and think, “Have you all gone mad?’”
6. They set goals.
Some goals are sales quotas. Other goals are just going #2 in the potty.
7 They’re salespeople.
Sometimes they sell actual products, but mostly it’s spoonfuls of carrots that sound like airplanes.
8. They rarely sit down and eat a complete, healthy meal
9. They encourage their team to think outside the box and succeed.
10. They often need a drink at the end of the day…
And a stiff one, at that.