Whether you are an experienced parent or a new one, everyone can use positive parenting tips. By following these 10 positive parenting tips, you can build a strong and healthy relationship with your child.
1. Do not scold your children in front of others: Do not shout at your children or scold them in front of others. It will discourage them. Try to make them understand by listening to them properly. Speak calmly and tell your children what they should do. Deal with the behavior and not the child. Make them hear your words instead of your loud voice. Cuddle them often is one of the best positive parenting tips.
2. Do not force or pressure your children: Let your children be the way they want to be but guide them from a distance. Help them by telling them the pros and cons of the decisions they are taking. If they are taking up any hobby or sport of their choice, let them pick and ensure, they do it in the right way.
3. Maintain a balance between work and play: It is rightly said, “All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy”. Help your children to develop a healthy mind and body. Provide a good balance of work and play by working out the timetable with your children. Set priorities together according to the capabilities and interest of your children. This will keep them happy and encourage them to work harder.
4. Do not lie or make fake promises: It is important to build trust with your children. Either keep your promises or never make fake promises (one of the most important positive parenting tips), which you know you won’t be able to fulfill. Instead, tell them that you will try but not sure if it will be done. At least it will not break your child’s heart.
5. Make clear rules and give positive instructions: Rules should be clear and fair, easy to understand. You should tell children what to do instead of what not to do. Instead of saying “Do not shout” tell them “Speak in a quiet voice.” Positive instructions will have a better impact on your child will they understand what they should do better.
6. Spend time with your children: Try to get involved in their activities. Have fun with your children. Playing with them is one of the best ways to build a good parent-child relationship. Let your children know that you enjoy being with them. Try not to exchange your presence with the presents. Spending time with your child is the most valuable present your child could ever get in his lifetime and one of the crucial positive parenting tips.
7. Help problem-solve: Teach your children how to find a solution to the problems. Do not provide a solution every time, be their partner in problem-solving. Listen to them patiently and understand the situation. Provide options and let them think of the consequences of each option. You can also share your experiences when you went through the same phase. Together you can reach the best solution. This will teach them an important life skill.
8. Praise your children: Praise your children for their behavior and achievements is one of the best positive parenting tips. It should be sincere and do not include criticisms. Instead of saying “good”, try to describe to your child what you like about his work. It will encourage them to repeat the things which you would like to see again. Praising a child develops self-confidence.
9. Pay attention to your child’s feelings: Your child must have gone through many things during a day, be it good or bad. Try to talk to them, listen to them and find out what is happening to your child. By paying attention to their feelings, you are telling them that someone is there to understand him and provide support during tough times.
10. Promote independence: Let your children explore the world. Don’t hold them too tightly or leave them free as if you don’t care. Let them make their decisions under your supervision. Guide them from distance for better child development. This will give them much freedom and provide security as well.
“It is never too late to start and follow the positive parenting tips.”