Instagram-worthy seasonal desserts are taking over our social media feeds. This year hot cocoa bombs have gained popularity among lovers of festive treats. Now you can make your own with easy-to-follow steps thanks to ALDI Test Kitchen.
If you are feeling extra festive you can drop the bombs into a cup of ALDI-exclusive O’Donnell’s Irish Cream for the ultimate holiday taste bud explosion.
Check out the recipe created by Chef Trevor from the ALDI Test Kitchen and captured by Heather at @brownedbutterblondie.
ALDI Hot Cocoa Bombs
Recipe Courtesy of Chef Trevor, ALDI Test Kitchen
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes (plus 25 minutes to chill and set)
Total Time: 20 minutes (plus 25 to chill and set)
- 1 package Moser Roth Dark Collection 70% Cocoa Chocolate Bar, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Baker’s Corner Mini Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
- 1 package Beaumont Cocoa Hot Cocoa Mix
- Spangler Candy Canes, crushed
- Baker’s Corner Miniature Marshmallows
- Prepare a double boiler over medium-low heat. Meanwhile, combine chopped chocolates and morsels in a small bowl.
- Add half of the chocolate to the double boiler. Monitor temperature using a candy thermometer or other food safe thermometer. Do not allow chocolate to rise about 120° F at any point.
- Once chocolate is melted and at 110-115°, remove from heat. In small batches, incorporate remaining chocolate. Be sure to melt what you’ve added prior to adding more.
- Continue to monitor temperature and stir until temperature reaches 82°. Transfer back to the double boiler and bring to 91°.
- At 91° remove from heat, add 2 tablespoons of chocolate to each half of the 3-inch silicone sphere molds. Tilt mold in all directions to properly coat the entire bowl. Let sit for 5 minutes. Reserve remaining chocolate.
- The chocolate should have begun to set at this point. Use the back of a spoon to smooth out the inside of the half sphere. Chill for 20 minutes.
- Peel molds away to release chocolate. Set aside.
- Warm a small sauté pan over low heat. Lightly press one half sphere, open side down, on the sauté pan to even. Place back in mold.
- Fill with 1/2 packet cocoa mix, and preferred amount of crushed candy cane and marshmallows.
- Repeat step 8, instead pressing the halves together. Allow 5 minutes to set.
- Bring remaining chocolate to 88°, drizzle over sealed bombs and decorate with remaining candy canes pieces.
All photos courtesy of ALDI