American Girl wanted to thank real-life community heroes helping out on the frontlines during the pandemic. As part of their #ThankYouHeroes program, they held a “Heroes with Heart” contest.Five Grand Prize winners were selected and received a one-of-a-kind, custom-made American Girl doll and outfit in the hero’s likeness, along with a $200 American Girl gift card for the nominator.
“At American Girl, we’ve always celebrated the idea of acting with courage and compassion,” says Jamie Cygielman, General Manager of American Girl. “That’s why we’re proud to recognize these local heroes who all play critical roles in helping our friends, families and communities every day. It’s this kind of dedication and service that shows true strength of character.”
There was an amazing response with more than 1,000 nominations of really moving stories. Five “Heroes with Heart” contest winners have been announced.
- April is a paramedic nominated by her niece for working on the frontlines in Virginia.
- Xavier is a grocery store worker nominated by his sister for working five days a week at a grocery store during the pandemic.
- Pam is a teacher nominated by her students who visited each student’s house with a smile, an encouraging sign, and a bag of books.
- Sarah is a Nurse assistant nominated by her granddaughter for her dedication and patience as a caregiver and in feeding the homeless in her community.
- Laurent is a pilot for Spirit Airlines nominated by his daughter for volunteering to fly a team of American doctors to Haiti to help them fight COVID-19 and a return flight full of stranded U.S. citizens.
“Heroes with Heart” is part of American Girl’s #ThankYouHeroes program, which also includes an exclusive Scrubs doll outfit to honor frontline healthcare workers with a donation of books benefiting First Responders Children’s Foundation.
Featured photo: American Girl