From pregnancy, to delivery, to recovery and beyond, Strength in Moms works closely with mamas to ensure safe, healthy pre- and postnatal fitness routines. This is a highly-praised mom-powered and mom-dedicated resource—and your Totally Awesome pick for best mom fitness classes in the Atlanta area! The mastermind behind it all is Katie Scharf, ATL’s premier fitness guru who understands how to help mamas get back into their pre-pregnancy bodies one workout at a time. Katie recently took the time to chat with us about what makes Strength in Moms so awesome, the inspiration behind her business, and more. (Psst! Katie even shares an at-home workout for you to try.) Read on:
Red Tricycle: Congratulations on being voted “Most Awesome” by your community! What do you think your customers value most about your business?
Katie Scharf: Here’s what some of my clients say:
“I value your expertise, your commitment, the fact that you come to my house and that the workouts are always different.”
“It’s therapeutic for the body and mind! It’s nice to be able to relate to other moms and it makes working out fun. Being around other moms that are going through the same things is nice. And the fact that you are a mom and you get it, is great. Because you have gone through everything that we have, you can make the exercise make sense for us. ”
“You make becoming a fit and healthy mom an achievable goal.”
RT: What inspired you to start your business?
KS: I am the proud mom of two beautiful boys. During my first pregnancy I exercised a little, but didn’t know how to adjust to my changing body. Eventually I just stopped and let my pregnancy take over. It took me over a year, but with a lot of hard work I finally felt like myself again. Throughout my second pregnancy, I maintained my fitness levels, my core strength and my relaxed state of mind. I decided that being pregnant and being a mom does not mean letting go of who I am—a strong and fit woman. I deserved an hour each day to focus on my mind and body and ultimately my family as well. After my second child was born I decided to share my power and knowledge with other women. Health & Wellness comes from Strength in Moms. Now I get to wake up every day and empower moms all over the Atlanta Metro area. We focus on total body strength and conditioning. Making women stronger, one mom and a time!
RT: Any advice for new business owners just getting started?
KS: Be prepared for success! I started my business because I love training women. I have had to learn the business side of my passion along the way. I slowly learned to ask for help, advice and create a core of close friends to guide me along the way. There comes a time when you have to make the decision to go bigger or to stay small. It is a good problem to have, but decisions have to be made. When your passion is your career and also your baby, you don’t trust it to just anyone. So start building your support system from the start!
RT: Can you give us one tip for balancing entrepreneurship with parenthood?
KS: Family first! I have always believed that if you do not prioritize, guilt or expectations can make you do things that may not be best for your family. We are all expected to answer immediately or reply ASAP—after all, your phone is right there in your hand. Do not fall into the trap. Most anything can wait. Schedule your time/day so that all of the little things for work do not take time away from family. That to-do list will never go away, but if you plan and prepare for the day properly everyone gets their time with Mom!
RT: What is your proudest moment as a business owner or parent?
KS: My proudest moment and when I see the light bulb turn back on in the mom’s head. Moms fall into a sinkhole of martyrdom and find it very hard to focus on themselves. They do everything for others and nothing for themselves. Soon they lose touch with who they are (besides someone’s mommy) and they need to reconnect. After a few sessions and talking about how they are and how they feel, I see it! They start to tell me about how much better they feel, how much better they are eating, how much stronger they feel, etc. The light bulb turns on and their lives are brighter and happier! They are Strong and Fit Moms!
RT: Is there a special offer you’d like to include for Red Tricycle readers?
KS: I want to share this free 10 minute at-home body weight strength workout so you can get a taste of the Strength in Moms spirit:
- 1 minute – Deep Squats (legs wide, weight on your heels, keep knees above or behind your toes)
- 1 minute – Alternating Forward Lunges (arms up above head, pull belly button in towards your spine)
- 10 – Walkout Pushups (keeping legs straight, bend to the floor, walk out to plank, pushup, pike back up and walk hands back in to feet, stand up, repeat)
- 1 minute – Plank + Rotation (hold plank in pushup position, open right arm to ceiling, hold 3 sec, open left arm to ceiling, repeat)
- 1 min each leg – Side Lunge + Curtsey Squat (side lunge to right side, return to center, step right leg back into curtsey squat, return to center, repeat)
- 1 minute – Unicycles (laying flat on the floor, keep hands at side or under butt, bicycle legs out close to the floor as possible)
- 1 minute – Pilates Roll-ups (laying flat on the floor with legs straight out on floor, roll up with arms, then upper body, reaching for your toes, roll back down, repeat)
- 2 x 10 – Dips (on chair) (legs in front, bend at elbows and drop down to 90 degree angle at elbow, return to start)
- 1 minute – Plank (plank on elbows, pull belly button to spine, do not arch your back)