Nothing quite warms you up on a cool day like a steaming pot of soup or stew. This meat-and-potatoes recipe is sure to do just that. Much like a slow cooker recipe, this dish can be made several hours ahead of time and reheated to serve for dinner. This hearty recipe will make enough to feed your family for at least two meals, so you can rest assured that your family will go to bed with full, happy tummies.
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 pounds top round or chuck steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/4 cup all-purpose flour, seasoned with a little salt and pepper
1 large yellow onion, diced
1 1/2 cups red wine
3 cups beef broth
1 1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
3 carrots, peeled and sliced
1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
2 teaspoons fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
salt and black pepper, to taste
1. In a large, deep pot, heat olive oil.
2. Dredge meat in seasoned flour. Place in hot oil until browned, about 5 minutes (don’t overcrowd meat or it will steam).
3. Transfer browned meat to a bowl. In same pot, add chopped onion and brown for 3-5 minutes.
4. Deglaze the pot with the wine. (Pour wine in the hot pot and use a wooden spoon to scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the pot.) Add meat back to the pot.
5. Cover the pot, and cook on low for 25-30 minutes.
6. Add broth, potatoes, and carrots. Cook covered, on low heat until meat is very tender, about 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
7. Add more broth if necessary. When meat is cooked, stir in herbs, salt, and pepper. Add fresh parsley before serving.
recipe courtesy of food blogga