You read right, this spin off of the classic sandwich standby is a bit “leafier,” but you better believe that it doesn’t lose any of it’s savory goodness. The highlight of this recipe ?Bill of Southern Boy Dishes insists that it’s the toasted bread. He adds the dressing to the tomato and bread mixture a few minutes before serving to soften them up and allow them to absorb all of the delicious flavors. Pair it with your grilled meat of choice and you’ve got one delicious dish. Yields 4 servings.
1 head of green leaf lettuce
10 oz bacon, cut into bite-sized pieces
3 cu cherry or grape tomatoes
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus 1 tsp
4 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tsp honey
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 tbsp minced shallots
2 tsp minced fresh thyme
8 tbsp reserved bacon grease
3 scallions, green part only sliced
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a medium skillet, brown bacon over medium high heat. Remove bacon and drain. Reserve grease.
3. Cut baguette into 3/4 inch cubes to measure 8 cups. Place cubes in a large bowl and toss with 2 tbsp olive oil, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper. Place bread on a baking sheet.
4. Coat tomatoes with 1 tsp olive oil. Place on baking sheet.
5. Place tomatoes and bread in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Set aside.
6. Whisk together vinegar, mustard, honey, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, shallots, and thyme. Whisk in bacon grease until incorporated.
7. In a large bowl, toss tomatoes, bread, and dressing. Let sit for 15 or 20 minutes.
8. Arrange lettuce leaves on 4 salad plates. Divide tomato and bread mixture on salad plates and top with bacon and scallions. Serve immediately.
recipe and photo courtesy of Bill at Southern Boy Dishes
Take ordinary ingredients and make something extraordinary. That’s the philosophy behind Southern Boy Dishes. Bill, a lifelong food fanatic, grew up eating fresh and healthy foods. Now, he balances his time in the kitchen with living a busy life. Cooking every day is a priority, even if that means there’s only 30 minutes to get something on the table. His focus is on healthful dishes made with fresh ingredients. Enjoy all of Bill’s deliciously simple (and his more elaborate) culinary creations over at Southern Boy Dishes.