It’s not often a show comes to town with mass appeal that excites the fresh-out-of-diapers crowd as much as the ones in charge of the diapering and the boys as much as the girls. Marvel Universe Live fits that bill and it’s storming the Chicago market Sept. 10-20. Read on to see why your family will love watching this electrifying battle go down a few short feet from your seats.
At no point in Marvel’s history has this many characters been assembled in one place at one time – 25! – so a story had to be imagined that brought them together for a common purpose. The mighty Thor destroys the Cosmic Cube, the source of ultimate power and the most feared and coveted treasure in Marvel Universe, to keep it from falling into the wrong hands. His villainous brother Lokie steals a piece of the cube and creates a clone fueled from the powers of captured X-Men. It’s up to the superheroes to combat Lokie to save the fate of the world.
Facts About the Show
- Let’s start with the important stuff. The show is 90 minutes, with an intermission at the 40-minute mark, which is perfect for little ones who might need a potty break.
- Because of the length of the show and the level of action, it’s best for kids ages 4 & over.
- When you arrive, you’ll notice a mostly gray set. But a very specific gray that allows the production crew to create the brightest images that realistically transport the audience around the world during the course of the show, using more computer power than it takes to power a space station.
- Just for this show, a 3,000-lb car that can be piloted by a human, yet rolled, raced and caught on fire was created. And, it still reports for duty fully intact for the next show.
- The range of action of the show – from pyrotechnics to movie-style effects and stunts – will definitely engage audiences, boy or girl, across all ages. However, there’s humor thrown in directed at the parents in the crowd.
- There isn’t a bad seat in the house. All areas of the arena are fully engaged and the cast has been trained to give the same experience to people sitting in the front row as those sitting in the top rows. Because of the stunts and effects, it’s almost like seeing a completely different show from every seat in the house.
Add to the Coolness Factor
It’s definitely a splurge at $25, but consider picking up the Lectro Link wristbands available when you purchase your tickets or when you arrive at the arena. The Lectro Link is a device created as a collaboration between Iron Man and Spiderman that can be remotely controlled by Iron Man. What this means is that at three different points in the show, Iron Man lights up the wristband on your child’s arm – which is a highlight. Once the show is over, it’s a fun keepsake that lights up at the push of a button. To help offset this cost, parking at both venues is free!
The Windy City Connection
Over the course of two years of research, design and rehearsals, Chicago mom and producer of this groundbreaking show, Juliette Feld, was pregnant with her now 10-month old daughter. Juliette knew she was on the right track with the production when during rehearsals her daughter, still in her tummy, would become very active during the most high-energy points. So there you have it, a show that truly appeals to all ages.
One last note, don’t be shy to break out your favorite Marvel superhero costume and play dress up with your kids. It’s a common occurrence at this show and highly encouraged.
Marvel Universe Live
Cost: $25/$90; kids under 36″ on a lap are free
1901 W. Madison St.
Near West Side
Buy Tickets: ticketmaster.com
Dates: Sept. 10-13
6920 N. Mannheim Rd.
Buy Tickets: ticketmaster.com
Dates: Sept. 18-20
Do you have superhero super-fans in your house? Which character is your child most excited to see battle it out on stage?