Pasta is already one of your kid’s favorite foods, but sometimes they need a more hearty meal than a simple butter a cheese topping. That’s why this recipe incorporates chicken apple sausage to the mix along with some veggies (in this case, zucchini and squash). Sauteing these veggies not only makes them tender, but gives them a rich, smoky flavor that pairs well with the sausage. Your kids will love it so much they won’t think twice about the fact that they’re eating something that’s healthy for them. Top with red pepper flakes or freshly grated pamesean cheese for a little extra flavor.
1 box (16 oz) pasta, any shape
¼ cup olive oil
¼ cup butter or margarine
1 tsp minced garlic
2 yellow squash, cut lengthwise then sliced
2 zucchini, cut lengthwise then sliced
4 links chicken apple sausage, diced
salt and pepper to taste
1. Prepare pasta in boiling water.
2. Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet and cook sausage until well browned. Remove sausage from pan and drain drippings. Or, leave drippings in the pan for more flavor.
3. Add remaining olive oil and butter or margarine to pan and saute garlic over medium heat until just soft, being careful not to blacken it. Add vegetables and cook until just tender.
4. Return sausage to pan and heat through. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Toss with pasta and serve. Or, serve on top of pasta, drizzled with oil from the pan.
Recipe courtesy of Christy Miller via cozi.com