Forget chicken caesar salads and wraps and welcome the new and cool way to eat your caesar salad: in a grilled cheese sandwich. Courtesy of Fontina Turner of the food blog, Bacon & Legs this recipe is sure to be a hit in your family. The creamy dressing gives the sandwich a flavor boost, the greens a kick up the healthy factor and the lean chicken gives it a dose of protein.
2 slices sourdough bread
gruyere cheese (enough to cover both bread slices)
3 oz chicken breasts, cut into strips
handful of fresh romaine lettuce
¼ cup caesar dressing
⅓ cup parmesan cheese, shredded
1. Preheat a skillet (preferably iron) over medium-low heat. Drizzle with olive oil.
2. Lay out both slices of bread and cover with gruyere. Layer chicken and romaine on one slice and then drizzle with caesar dressing. Close sandwich.
3. Drizzle the top of the sandwich with olive oil and sprinkle half of the parmesan onto the bread. Press it into the bread with your fingertips.
4. Place the sandwich in the preheated skillet, parm-side down. While it is cooking, drizzle the top of the other piece of bread with olive oil and repeat the process with the remaining parm.
5. Cook over medium-low heat for 4-5 minutes per side. The bread should be a golden brown and the gruyere should be melty.
Will you make this sandwich to celebrate Grilled Cheese Day? Tell us below!
This recipe is reprinted courtesy of Fontina Turner of the food blog, Bacon & Legs. Check out Fontina’s website for more great recipe ideas. You’ll not only love the name of her blog, but the clever names she gives to all of her hearty dishes. Click here to visit Bacon & Legs.