This modern chicken enchiladas dish by Good Dinner Mom doesn’t require strict measurements or extravagant ingredients to make, which makes it truly a dish from heaven. Plus, gooey cheese, tortilla chips and moist chicken all simmering in a one easy to wash skillet? Here’s your next dinner meal.
15-20 corn tortilla chips, broken into bite-sized pieces (enough to cover the pan)
2-3 cups cooked chicken breast meat, shredded or chopped
1 15-oz. can black beans (you might not use all of this)
1 10-oz. can RoTel Diced Tomatoes and Green Chiles, undrained
1 15-oz. can red enchilada sauce
1 8-oz. can tomato sauce
½ cup grated Cheddar cheese, divided, more or less to taste
½ cup grated Monterey Jack cheese, divided, more or less to taste
1 avocado, sliced thin
½ cup chopped green onions
Black olives, sliced
Hot sauce, if desired
1. Spray a large skillet (at least 12 inch) with non-stick cooking spray and heat the pan over medium heat.
2. Add the corn tortillas to cover the bottom of the skillet. Add the cooked chicken and black beans to the pan. Start with about 1 cup of black beans and you can add more later if it looks like you want it. Stir together to heat through.
3. Pour the RoTel, enchilada sauce, and tomato sauce into the pan with ¼ cup of each cheese. Stir to combine well. Continue to cook 5 minutes, until hot and bubbly.
4. Sprinkle on the remaining cheese, top with the avocado, green onions and black olives before serving.
5. Serve with sour cream, hot sauce and additional cheese on the side.
Tell us below what you think of this recipe!
Good Dinner Mom is a blog by Sally, a mom who loves making healthy, home cooked dishes. Her wonderful food blog also features many meatless and vegan friendly recipes for families with restrictive diets. To see more delicious meals, from recipes for slow cooked meals to party worthy fare, click here.