Nothing pairs better with the winter season more perfectly than a hearty soup. Stir up this delicious chickpea and rosemary soup from Little Yumminess as an appetizer or pair it with some salad and hearty bread for a full dinner time meal. Hear the “Mms…” from your taste tester as they fill up their tummies with a warmth that goes down to their toes.
4 large garlic cloves, chopped finely leaves from two sprigs of rosemary, chopped finely
1 15 ounce can of diced tomatoes
2 15 ounce cans chickpeas
1 quart chicken broth (you can use vegetable broth if you want to keep it vegetarian)
Salt to taste
small piece of Parmegiano Reggiano rind (optional)
1. Saute garlic, rosemary, and a big pinch of salt.
2. Cook until the garlic is softened and golden.
3. Add the tomatoes (breaking them up a bit with the back of a spoon).
4. Stir well and simmer on low for 15-20 minutes.
5. Add the chickpeas, stir well and simmer 10 minutes.
6. Add broth and simmer for at least 15 minutes. For extra flavor, throw in a small piece of parmegiano reggiano rind.
7. Remove the cheese rind and discard.
8. Ladle about a third of the soup into a blender or food processor. (Beware of pureeing hot food because it can spray out, so let it cool before proceeding). Puree and return it to the pot, stirring well.
9. Adjust the seasoning to taste.
Adapted from the recipe in Marcella Hazan’s “Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking.”