This is a hybrid of various recipes we’ve tried over the years. We like the combination of roasted and fresh tomatoes. It’s very tomato-y and the sherry gives it a nice boost. Good to pack in school lunches in a thermos with some grilled cheese. Perfect for late summer since tomatoes are everywhere!
4 pounds of tomatoes
1-2 large shallots
1-2 tbsp butter
6 cups chicken stock
1 Tbsp sherry
1/4 cup of half and half or cream
1. Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil. Slice 2 pounds of tomatoes and lay them on the cookie sheet and sprinkle with salt and a little sugar, then drizzle with olive oil. Roast in a 375 oven for 30 minutes or until the tomatoes are a bit wrinkled and the much of their moisture has cooked out. Set aside.
2. Saute 1-2 large shallots in butter in a large pot, then add a small pinch of ground allspice.
3. Add 2 pounds of sliced (uncooked) tomatoes to the shallots, then add the roasted tomatoes, and enough chicken of vegetable stock to cover (about 6 cups).
Simmer on low for an hour or so.
4. Put the soup through a fine setting on a food mill, which will strain out the skins. You could use a blender, too.
5. Return to the stove and taste for seasoning, adding salt or pepper to taste. Swirl in a TBL or sherry and 1/4 cup of half and half or cream.