We love the creamy taco mac recipe because it’s practically the definition of healthy comfort food. The dish is creamy, full of flavor, is filling, and is very healthy too! It’s reminiscent of Hamburger Helper except it’s vegetarian and doesn’t have any cheese in it. It also cooks in one big pot and requires only a few other kitchen tools, so the clean up is pretty easy.
From: The Way the Cookie Crumbles
Yield: 6 servings
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped small
1 red pepper, chopped small
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp. ground chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
¼ tsp. ground cayenne
1 lb. pasta, uncooked
1 28-oz can diced tomatoes
2 cups water
1 30-oz can black beans, drained
1 7-oz container 2% Greek yogurt
2 tbsp. cilantro, chopped
1. In a large skillet or dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, pepper and a pinch of salt and cook for 5-8 minutes until the onion starts to brown.
2. Add the garlic and spices to the pot and cook for about 30 seconds more.
3. To the pot add the diced tomatoes and their juices, the water, and the black beans. Cover and bring to a light boil. Once the mixture is boiling, reduce the heat to medium low and allow the pasta to cook for about 20 minutes. When the pasta is al dente, the dish is done.
3. Put the yogurt in a small bowl and add half of the pasta mixture. Stir until the pasta and yogurt are thoroughly mixed.
4. Add this pasta back to the main pot and stir until everything is combined. Allow it to cook for 2-3 minutes more so that the yogurt is heated through.
5. Check for seasoning and add more salt if you feel it’s needed. If the pasta is too thick, add water in ¼ cup increments until it reaches the desired consistency.
6. Serve warm, in large bowls, with a sprinkle of cilantro.
Nicole Leone is the author of Truffle Honey, where she aims to share accessible recipes with novice cooks like her who are navigating their way into and around their kitchens. Nicole lives in New York City and when she isn’t cooking or trolling the local green market, she can be found singing opera and working in Finance.